Translation Disclaimer

Berkeley Housing Authority
Berkeley Housing Authority

Berkeley Housing Authority Forms & Information

All forms are in a Acrobat  (PDF) format which is a standard file format.  The Acrobat software is available from Adobe FREE of charge HERE.


Owners and Tenants  

          Customer Service Feedback Form | Report Suspected Fraud/Program Abuse




gift of housing Landlords - Lease and keys housing coming together  


What is the Section 8 Program...

  • Brochure for Prospective Landlords  
  • Opt Out Information  
  •  Rental Unit Listing Request
  • Requesting Rent Increases...

  • Rent Increase Information (printable PDF version)   
  • Rent Increase - Unit Characteristics Survey 
  •   Inspections...

  •  Request for Extension of Time to Complete Repairs
  • Owner Abatement Appeal Form 
  • Self Certification of Fail Items Information
  •   No Trespassing

      Financial Forms

  •  Request for Stop Payment and Replacement Check  
  •  Payment and Ownership Declaration Form 
  •  Request for Taxpayer ID (W9)
  • Direct Deposit Form 
  •    Good Cause Eviction

    No Smoking Ordinance Effective May 1, 2014

    New Smoking Law Affects All Berkeley Multi-Unit Housing  

    The Berkeley City Council adopted an ordinance regulating secondhand smoke in all multi-unit residences and common areas.  As of May 1, 2014, smoking will be prohibited in 100% of multi-unit housing with two or more units (i.e. apartments, co-ops, condominiums, common interest developments, etc).  This also includes common areas such as private decks, balconies, and porches of units. 

    Below are materials for property owners and tenants.  If you do not have access to a printer, paper copies are also available at: 

    City of Berkeley, Public Health Division
    1947 Center Street, 2nd Floor Lobby
    Berkeley, CA 94704  

    The following materials are in development and will be posted as soon as they are finalized:   

    • Smoking Complaint form for Tenants 
    • 'No Smoking' signs to download (available in March 2014)











    Frequently asked questions about the Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing Ordinance

    Q: I live in a stand-alone building that is considered a “condo” – does the ordinance apply?
    A: No 

    Q: I live in a single-family home with a detached in-law in my backyard that I rent to a tenant. There are no shared walls/ceilings – does the ordinance apply?
    A: No  

    Q: I own a condo that is a unit in a larger building. I share walls and ceilings with my neighbors - does the ordinance apply?
    A: Yes 

    Q: How do you define Multi-Unit Residence?
    A: BMC 12.70.020 “Multi-unit residence" means a building or portion thereof that contains more than one unit.

    Q: How do you define “Unit”?
    A: BMC 12.70.020 "Unit" means a personal dwelling space, even where lacking cooking facilities or private plumbing facilities, including but not limited to a dwelling unit as defined in Chapter 23F.04, an apartment, a common interest development such as a condominium, townhouse or tenant-in-common, a room in a group living accommodations as defined in Chapter 23F.04, a room in a senior citizen residence, a room in a nursing home, or assisted living facility, a dormitory room, and a Single Residential Occupancy (SRO) room. Unit shall include any associated exclusive-use enclosed or unenclosed areas, including but not limited to a private balcony, porch, deck, or patio.


    For additional questions please contact the Tobacco Prevention Program at: 

    (510) 981-5330 or   


    Additional Resources

    Free Smoking Cessation Services
    Smoke Free Commercial Zones in Berkeley
    Tobacco Prevention Program



    single parent family in handsfamily collage




    Changes to Family or Income...  

     Thinking of Moving...

     In need of Additional Assistance...  


    Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
    Berkeley Housing Authority, 1936 University Avenue, Suite 150, Berkeley, CA 94704
    Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5470
    (510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
    TTY: (510) 981-6903