Press Contact: Khin Chin, Office of Emergency Preparedness, (510) 981-5605
SIMPLE PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS FOR THE RETURN TO STANDARD TIME
Change Your Clocks and Your Smoke Detector Batteries This Weekend
<#text>Berkeley, California (Tuesday, October 28, 2008) -
- Check the batteries in your smoke detectors and flashlights. Your smoke detector battery should be changed every year, and tested every month.
- Check your fire extinguisher to make sure it is fully charged and ready for use (be sure that the gauge is in the green).
- Check the expiration dates on the water and the food in your disaster kit. Drink the water and eat the food if the dates are about to expire, and replace whatever you use.
Remember that, after a catastrophic earthquake, some government resources may not be available for several days. It is essential that every household and family be prepared to survive on its own for 5-7 days until all services can be restored. Take the time now to stock up on disaster supplies and to make a plan for yourself and your family on where to meet following an earthquake.
- Designate a long distance phone contact that everyone in your family can use to tell where and how they are.
- Prepare an emergency supplies kit for your home, car and work site.
- Get to know your neighbors and organize your neighborhood.
For more information, please contact Berkeley’s Office of Emergency Services, at
(510) 981-5605 or visit www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/getready
Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .