Press Contact: Alice LaPierre, Energy Efficiency Program Manager, (510) 981-7435
JOSH KORNBLUTH VIDEO PROMOTES BERKELEY’S “GET OFF YOUR GAS” CONTEST
Berkeley, California (Friday, April 03, 2009) - Josh Kornbluth, local comedian, actor and Energy Commissioner, stars in new video promoting Berkeley’s “Get Off Your Gas" Contest. Kornbluth takes on the role of Benjamin Franklin to promote a contest that educates and rewards Berkeley residents who reduce their a natural gas consumption. Watch the video and enter the contest right here! Applications are due April 10, 2009.
View the funny 4-minute video at http://berkeley.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=556.
The contest compares residential energy bills between the winters of 2008 and 2009. Contestants will submit information from their February PG&E bill as part of the contest application. Please use the information from the PG&E bill that was received between February 25, 2009 and March 30, 2009 to enter the contest. Prizes will be awarded in several categories, including greatest amount of natural gas reduction from last year, lowest overall natural gas bill, lowest amount of natural gas used per household resident, and most creative efficiency strategy. The contest application is available on the City of Berkeley website at www.cityofberkeley.info/sustainable
- Must be Berkeley resident (renter or homeowner)
- Must be a PG&E customer and receive a natural gas energy bill
- Must have lived in the same home since at least January 1, 2008
- Last day to apply is April 1, 2009
Energy Saving Tips:
- Lower water heater temperature to 125 degrees F
- Wash laundry in cold water
- Use a clothesline or rack when possible to dry clothes
- Program thermostat to 68 degrees F or lower when your home is occupied, and 60 degrees F (or off) when no one is home
- Add attic, wall or floor insulation
- Weatherstrip to reduce air infiltration
This contest is co-sponsored by PG&E as a part of their "Winter Gas Savings Program" which rewards customers who reduce their cumulative gas usage during January and February 2009 with a bill credit of up to 20 percent on their March or April gas bill.
For more information about the Get Off Your Gas Berkeley contest, contact Berkeley Office of Energy & Sustainable Development at www.CityofBerkeley.info/Sustainable or Alice La Pierre, Energy Efficiency Program Manager, 981-7435 or email energy@CityofBerkeley.info.
Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .