Press Contact: Kenneth Emeziem, Supervising Civil Engineer, (510) 981-6444
CONSTRUCTION AND REPAVING BEGINS ON UNIVERSITY
University between Sixth and Grant to get fixes and repaving by fall
Berkeley, California (Thursday, April 09, 2009) - Contractors hired by the City of Berkeley have begun work on University Avenue, between Sixth Street and Grant Street. Over the next six months, repairs will be made to the sanitary sewer lines, the sidewalk and pavement as outlined below.
· Sewer improvements to replace aging sewer lines will be made from 6th Street to Grant Street;
· Sidewalk improvements, including fixing broken sidewalks, curbs & driveways, and eliminating uplifts due to tree roots, will be made from 6th to Sacramento;
· Street paving and curb cut repair will be done from 6th Street to San Pablo in the first phase. Depending on the federal stimulus money allocation, a second phase of street paving could smooth San Pablo to Sacramento.
Construction will be done in phases until October 30, 2009. Work hours will run between 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, except in special circumstances.
Effect on Traffic and Parking on University Avenue: The City warns visitors and residents that traffic could be delayed in spots. If street closures become necessary, they will not exceed 12 hours at a time.
In order to complete the paving work, street parking will be prohibited along sections of University Avenue during construction work hours. "No Parking" signs will be posted along the affected blocks 3 days in advance and will state exact hours and locations. All other usual parking restrictions, including no parking for street cleaning, will still be in effect. Residents should know that access to their driveways might be prohibited for most of the day during the paving operation on their block. Emergency vehicle access will be maintained, however.
No significant interruptions in sewer, water, electric, gas or phone service is anticipated. Door hangers providing further information will be distributed a minimum of 3 days before sewer work actually starts on the block and before sewer lateral work is done.
Business owners are encouraged to contact the City or the Contractor to coordinate delivery schedules for business.
· For general questions about the project, call Kenneth Emeziem, Supervising Civil Engineer: (510) 981-6444
· For questions about street paving and sidewalk repair, please call Romeo Moscardon, Engineering Inspector: (510) 981-6421
· For questions about sewer construction call Harold Suan, Engineering Inspector: (510) 981-6426
· After work hours and for emergencies, please call Public Works Customer Service at (510) 981-6620.
Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .