Press Contact: Khin Chin, Berkeley Fire Department, (510) 981-5506
2009 FIRE SEASON BEGINS
Berkeley, California (Monday, June 01, 2009) - Effective, June 1, 2009, Cal Fire officially delcared the start of Fire Season for Alameda County. You can immediately improve your property's fire safety by taking the following steps:
- Clearing flammable vegetation and trees away from your house
- Removing tree limbs within 10 feet of any chimneys or stovepipes
- Removing pine needles and leaves from roofs, eaves, roof valleys, and rain gutters
- Removing dead tree limbs overhanging structures
- Removing flammable material like firewood from under decks
- Placing your woodpile far away from your house
- Ensuring you place spark arrestors on all internal combustion engines used around flammable vegetation (mowers, chainsaws, weed eaters, motorcycle, etc.)
- Remembering to cut your grass regularly and always before noon. Dry grass has the highest amount of moisture in the morning.
- If you see smoke or a fire, report it immediately by calling 911 from a land line phone, or 510-981-5911 from your cell phone. Be prepared to provide information on the fire's location.
For more information on protecting your home from wildfire, please visit www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/getready or call 510-981-5506.
Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .