Press Contact: Matt Nichols, Principal Transportation Planner, (510) 981-7068
PUBLIC MEETINGS ON PROPOSED AC TRANSIT LINE 51A IMPROVEMENTS
Transit Agency Aims to Reduce Delays to the East Bay's Busiest Bus Line
Berkeley, California (Friday, August 23, 2013) - AC Transit, in coordination with the City of Berkeley Public Works Department, is holding two public meetings on August 28th and 29th to discuss potential improvements to the AC Transit Bus Line 51A corridor in Berkeley along University Avenue, Shattuck Avenue, Bancroft Way, Durant Avenue, and College Avenue.
Line 51 is the most heavily used bus route in the East Bay, carrying nearly 19,000 passengers a day to Berkeley, Oakland, and Alameda. Service is unreliable, with operational problems such as bus bunching, late vehicles and crowded buses. AC Transit has received a $10 million grant for infrastructure and operational improvements to improve on-time performance and reliability.
The meetings will be held on:
1. Wednesday, August 28th, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at La Quinta Inn at 920 University Avenue.
2. Thursday, August 29th, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at the Julia Morgan Center for the Arts at 2640 College Avenue.
Improvements being considered include:
More information is available regarding the proposed improvements for Line 51 bus corridor at http://www.actransit.org/planning-focus/projects-in-the-works/projects-in-the-works-4/
- Bus stops improvements (lengthening, shelters, benches, and trash cans)
- Bus stop relocation or elimination
- Intersection and traffic signal improvements
- Transit priority signal timing improvements
- Queue Jump Lanes
- Peak Hour Bus Only Lanes and "Right Turn Only Except Bus" Lanes on University Avenue
- Bus Bulbs
All members of the public are welcome at any of the meetings. The same materials will be presented and discussed. Community members who are unable to attend the public meetings may submit written comments by Friday, September 13, 2013 to Tammy Kyllo, Administrative Coordinator, AC Transit, 1600 Franklin Street, Oakland, CA 94612 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .