Candidate Statement of Qualifications
I, ADOLFO CABRAL, hereby declare that I am a candidate for an elective office in the City of Berkeley, and make the following statement:
1. That my name is Adolfo Cabral
2. The office for which I am a candidate is City Council District 2
3. That my residence is [Contact City Clerk]
4. The place of my birth is Panama City, Panama
5. My present occupation is Retired
6. I have held the following public offices: Former District 2 Commissioner, West Berkeley Redevelopment Project Area Commission.
7. Record of community service: Rosa Parks Neighborhood Association, Council of Neighborhood Associations, Citizens Saving Berkeley Main Post Office, Save West Berkeley Plan Committee, Berkeley Neighborhoods Alliance, West Berkeley PAC.
8. I am a taxpayer in the City of Berkeley.
9. Our district is a diverse and vibrant mix of residents, small businesses and artisans at risk of irreversible rezoning threatening our quality of life and our unique businesses and industries. Our neighborhoods face challenges: crime, unaffordable housing, unemployment, rundown parks, potholes, flooding, pollution, earthquake risk, and school achievement gaps. We need leaders from the community who will listen and include us in governing our community. I have worked to reduce crime through neighborhood action in my Rosa Parks neighborhood. My community service included appointment to the West Berkeley (Redevelopment) PAC where I pushed for traffic improvements and also questioned the rezoning project of West Berkeley. I have joined and support my community’s compromises for solutions protecting residents, businesses and industrial lands. I am an independent voice fighting to ensure that we get the benefits that we deserve and put the needs of District 2 first with your ideas. Berkeley is at a crossroads and I ask for your vote to help me bring new leadership to unite us and not divide us, and put people first to move our city forward. To learn more visit my website: www.adolfocabral4citycouncil.com.
10. I refer to the following residents of the City of Berkeley:
Jesse Arreguín, City Councilmember, District 4
Jacquelyn McCormick, Berkeley Budget SOS coordinator, CENA board
Gene Poschman, Planning Commissioner, Past Chair Zoning Adjustment Board, Past Chair Budget Review Committee, Past Vice Chair Planning Commission, Past Member Downtown Area Plan Advisory Committee
Patti Dacey, Planning Commissioner; Former Commissioner, Landmark Preservation and Public Works Commissions
Patrick Sheahan, City of Berkeley Planning Commissioner
Cathleen Quandt, West Berkeley Resident and business owner
Dave Blake, vice-chair, Berkeley Rent Stabilization Bd; former chair Berkeley Zoning Bd.
Katherine Harr, Rent Stabilization Board Commissioner
Alejandro Soto-Vigil, Legislative Aide Berkeley City Council
Susan Henderson, Executive Director, Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund; For identification purposes only
Shirley Dean, Former Mayor, City of Berkeley
Dean Metzger, Former President of CENA
Zelda Bronstein, Former Chair, Berkeley Planning Commission
Gray Brechin, Geographer, U.C. Berkeley; member of Save the Berkeley Main Post Office Committee
Jeffrey Kaplan, Chair, Friends of the West Berkeley Plan and Envionmental activist
David M. Bowman, Artisan/Metalworker
Chris Witt, Neighborhood Watch Member—1100 Parker St. Group
Michael Colombo, Business Owner of Miccolo Inc (General Contractor) and coordinator of Rosa Parks Neighborhood Association
M. Sarah Klise, illustrator
Mary B. White, artist/educator