Candidate Statement of Qualifications
I, BERNT WAHL, hereby declare that I am a candidate for an elective office in the City of Berkeley, and make the following statement:
1. That my name is Bernt Wahl
2. The office for which I am a candidate is Berkeley City Mayor
3. That my residence is [Contact City Clerk]
4. The place of my birth is Santa Monica, CA
5. My present occupation is U.C. Berkeley Engineering Adjunct Professor,Factle CEO a Berkeley GIS mapping company, and Advisory Board Member
6. I have held the following public offices: None
7. Record of community service: U.N. Ecotourism Committee, Fulbright Fellow - State Department, National Park Service, American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, BMUG, U.C. Berkeley CITRIS, Skydeck DIR, LHS Advisor
8. I am a taxpayer in the City of Berkeley.
9. For over 20-years, I remain drawn to the Berkeley’s unique character, charm and diverse population. A citizenry comprised of merchants, laborers, activists, naturalists, service workers, builders, designers, engineers, students, academics and other concerned citizens. I have start technology firms and author books here; besides my community involvement and teaching engineering at U.C. Berkeley. I have been involved on the national and international level (United Nations, National Park Service, US State Department Fulbright, California Energy, We Care Solar, Neighborhood Mapping, etc. For Berkeley I see economic development, governmental transparency, and analytic decision making as key issues. I currently serve as an Executive in Residence for the Skydeck, a joint venture between the City of Berkeley, UC Berkeley and LBNL to promote the transfer of technology research to create real world products in Berkeley. I will explore how technology can be used to: reduce crime (e.g. track stolen bicycles), pinpoint needed services (e.g. GPS identify potholes), build out a viable energy plans (e.g. promote systems that are cost effective) and provide increased data access (e.g. free Wi-Fi for the downtown area). As Berkeley Mayor I plan to lead our city to meeting the many challenges before us in shaping Berkeley’s future.
10. I refer to the following residents of the City of Berkeley: None