Commercial Energy Conservation Ordinance (CECO)
The purpose of CECO is to increase the energy and water efficiency in Berkeley commercial buildings. Compliance with CECO measures saves money, increases the comfort and reduces the amount of greenhouse gas emissions in buildings.
BESO to Replace RECO/CECO:
Effective December 1, 2015, Berkeley's Building Energy Saving Ordinance (BESO) will replace both the Residential and Commercial Energy Conservation Ordinances (RECO and CECO). The transition from RECO/CECO to BESO will occur between October 9, 2015 and December 1, 2015. For more information, see www.cityofberkeley.info/BESO.
Effective October 9, 2015
- RECO and CECO requirements are no longer required at time of building renovation
- For buildings & houses up for sale between October 9 to December 1, 2015, sellers may choose to either complete RECO/CECO measures (RECO Form A, CECO Form 2) OR complete a BESO Energy Assessment (BESO Compliance Form A)
- Buildings with a previously filed deferral (RECO Form C or CECO Form 1, Part C) may choose to comply with either the BESO assessment or RECO/CECO measures
- Deferrals for up to 12 months are only allowed with BESO Time of Sale Deferral Form C
- RECO/CECO deferrals are no longer available
December 1, 2015
- RECO/CECO repealed
- BESO compliance is required prior to sale of Berkeley homes and buildings and on a phased-in schedule. Previous completion of requirements under RECO/CECO will not fulfill BESO requirements.
is CECO compliance required?
- Sale or
Transfer of Commercial Property: All commercial
properties sold or transferred must demonstrate compliance with CECO
requirements. Effective October 9, 2105, CECO is no longer required at time of renovation.
find out if a property is CECO compliant, check
the online CECO property
status list or call 510-981-7439 and provide address and
Assessor's Parcel Number.
request an Energy Audit from Community Energy Services Corporation
(CESC) please call: 510-981-9819. Click here to go to CESC webpage
- CECO Form 1 General Application
- Form 2 will
be provided to you by CESC (authorized CECO auditor) post-audit
unless you are conducting a self-audit
- CECO Form 3 Application
- CECO Form 4 General Exemption Form
to Homepage for Office of Energy and Sustainable Development