Office of Energy and Sustainable Development
Office of Energy and Sustainable Development

Residential Energy Conservation Ordinance (RECO)

The purpose of RECO is to increase the energy and water efficiency in Berkeley residences. Compliance with RECO measures saves money, increases the comfort and reduces the amount of greenhouse emissions in homes. 

BESO to Replace RECO/CECO:
Effective December 1, 2015, Berkeley's Building Energy Saving Ordinance (BESO) will replace both the Residential and Commercial Energy Conservation Ordinances (RECO and CECO). The transition from RECO/CECO to BESO will occur between October 9, 2015 and December 1, 2015. For more information, see:

Effective October 9, 2015

  • RECO and CECO requirements are no longer required at time of building renovation
  • For buildings & houses up for sale between October 9 to December 1, 2015, sellers may choose to either complete RECO/CECO measures (RECO Form A, CECO Form 2) OR complete a BESO Energy Assessment (BESO Compliance Form A)
  • Buildings with a previously filed deferral (RECO Form C or CECO Form 1, Part C) may choose to comply with either the BESO assessment or RECO/CECO measures
  • Deferrals for up to 12 months are only allowed with BESO Time of Sale Deferral Form C
  • RECO/CECO deferrals are no longer available

Effective December 1, 2015

  • RECO/CECO repealed
  • BESO compliance is required prior to sale of Berkeley homes and buildings and on a phased-in schedule. Previous completion of requirements under RECO/CECO will not fulfill BESO requirements

When is RECO compliance required? 

  • Sale or Transfer of Property All residential properties including, houses, mixed-use buildings, tenants-in-common, condominiums, multi-family properties, live-work spaces and boarding houses (including the common areas/common systems) must demonstrate compliance with RECO prior to sale. Effective October 9, 2015, RECO is no longer required  renovation.

To find out if a residential property is RECO compliant, email the Building and Safety Department via email at: The City maintains records for each residential property in Berkeley.

Schedule a RECO audit for a home sale Call Community Energy Services Corporation (CESC) at 510-981-9819 or visit the CESC websiteCESC is the only authorized RECO auditor for City of Berkeley properties.  

RECO Forms: 
Form A applies to all homeowners, whether selling, transferring or renovating.  Please look through other form details to see if Forms B-D or the Knob and Tube Wiring Forms apply to your home.

  • Form A Appendix -- RECO Auditor or City Inspector will fill out actual Form A upon completion of compliance with measures.
  • Form B  -- Buyer/Seller/Agent Notification: If a property has previously met RECO compliance (since January 1, 1992), and still has all RECO measure in place (door weatherstripping, low-flow toilets, etc.) then the Seller can use Form B at the point of sale or transfer as a warranty that the building is currently RECO compliant.
  • Knob and Tube Wiring Safety Form  -- Required when attic insulation is to be installed, and there is Knob & Tube wiring present in the attic.

Please note that insulation installation (excluding blown-in wall) requires a Building Permit from the Building and Safety Division. For more information about insulation, see: Insulation.

Energy Upgrade California is rebate program that allows homeowners to make energy efficiency upgrades. Rebates are compatible with RECO. For more resources, see: Energy Efficiency


Back to Homepage for Office of Energy and Sustainable Development

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Energy and Sustainable Development, 2120 Milvia St., Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7439
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903