Refuse: Billing Inquiries, Payments and Disputes
Information regarding billing, payments and dispute resolution related to your refuse services.
Refuse Collection Services are billed either on a quarterly basis, or for some properties, they're included on the annual property tax statement.
Payments can be made at the following below:
- In person at the Customer Service Center
- By mail to the City of Berkeley, Finance Department, PO Box 23523, Oakland 94623
- By calling Customer Service at (510) 981-7270 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Pay Online here
Inquiries or Disputes
It is our goal to provide quality customer service and accurate billing for City of Berkeley residents and businesses. If you believe your bill is incorrect or would like a detailed explanation of your bill, please call us at (510) 981-7270 immediately.
Please have the following information available:
- Name, account number and/or service address
- For identification purposes: Social Security or Driver's License/California identification number
- Daytime phone number
- Brief description of the inquiry or dispute
Refuse Rate Increase
General information regarding the Refuse Rate Increase, please see Resolution 64, 424-N.S.
Requests for Review of Overcharged or Over-billed Services
Customers who believe they are being overcharged for Refuse Service should contact Customer Service at (510) 981-7270 immediately. Upon contacting Customer Service, a Field Representative will conduct a site inspection to establish whether you have been overcharged for refuse service. Customers need not be present for the site inspection, but refuse containers must be accessible. Residents should allow 7-10 days for City staff to conduct the inspection. If the inspection confirms an overcharge, you will be notified and may be eligible for a refund for the current and prior fiscal year.
If you request a refund, you will have to provide:
- Alameda County property tax statements, or copies of City bills if billed directly, of the years for which you are requesting a refund, if applicable.
- Proof of payment, to establish who paid the tax bill or billing statement (canceled checks, bank statements, credit card statements, or escrow/impound account statements).
- Completed Claim Form for Refund of Money Paid (see also Claim for Refund of Money Paid Filing Procedures).
Documents in .pdf format require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing. You can download a free copy of Acrobat Reader from
Submit the refund request and documentation by mail or in person to:
City of Berkeley
Finance – Revenue Collection
1947 Center Street, Berkeley, California 94704
Customer Service Center: walk-in counter hours Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m, closed on Fridays
For Property Tax Statement Refuse Billing Problems
The Finance Department and the Zero Waste Management Division work together to resolve your refuse billing problems as quickly as possible and we will make every effort to get your tax bill corrected before your 1st installment payment due date;(November 1st) if you call by October 1st. However, once a correction is sent to the County we cannot guarantee that they can process the adjustment before your payment is due. Therefore we recommend you pay your property tax bill on time or late payment penalties and interest can accrue. If you overpay your property tax bill, you can apply to the City of Berkeley for a refund (at the above address).
Note: The Berkeley Municipal Code currently allows the Finance Department to refund overpayments of taxes and assessments up to 1 year. See BMC Chapter 7.20 Claims for Refund of Taxes and Assessments, and Ordinance 6319-NS, as published in BMC Section 12.32.060 for fees and payment requirements for Refuse Services.
For access to the Berkeley Municipal Code (BMC), links will take you to the City’s BMC site where you can browse the BMC in .pdf format, or search the BMC using Records Online. Search tips are available from the BMC site.