Animal Bite Procedure
Call the Berkeley Animal Shelter -- Monday thru Saturday -- 8:00 to 4:30
Sunday -- 8:00 to 3:30
Phone Number & Voicemail -- (510) 981- 6600
An animal control officer will respond to the scene and take a report.
After hours call the Berkeley Police Department at (510) 981- 5900
Here are some steps to take prior to the officer's arrival:
- Provide first aid for the bite.
- If the wound is serious call 9-1-1
- Less serious wounds -- victim can see a private physician after a bite report is taken.
- If possible safely contain the responsible animal, if the animal is vicious wait until animal control arrives and they will contain the animal.
- If the responsible animal does not stay in the area, try and get a good look at the animal so that you can give a description to animal control or the police.
If your pet bites:
The Berkeley Municipal Code(10.04 160) requires that the animal be quarantined and either impounded at the animal shelter, veterinarian or a home quarantine.
Rules of quarantine will be reviewed at the time of quarantine.