RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, December 18, 2006
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Special Order of Business
a. Introduction of Boardmembers-elect
Executive Director will introduce newly elected Boardmembers.
b. Oath of Office of Boardmembers-elect
The Berkeley City Clerk will administer the Oath of Office to Boardmembers-elect.
c. Election of Chairperson
Executive Director conducts election for Chairperson.
d. Election of Vice Chairperson
Newly elected Chair conducts election for Vice Chairperson.
e. Comments by new Chair, Vice Chair and Boardmembers
Newly elected Boardmembers, chair and vice-chair speak as desired.
5. Approval of the November 20, 2006 regular meeting minutes.
6. Report from Legislative Advocate, Christine Minnehan.
7. Appeal Time Certain - 7:45 p.m.
- Appeal T-4733/RWN-1438 - 1929 Ashby Avenue. The tenant appeals the hearing examiner's denial of her petition seeking rent reductions for alleged habitability violations at her unit. Inasmuch as the hearing examiner's denial of the petition is consistent with the evidence in the record, legal staff recommends that the Board deny the appeal and affirm the hearing examiner's decision.
- Appeal T-4708 - 3231 Baker Street. This is an appeal of a hearing examiner's decision that found that the tenant failed to establish that he paid rent overcharges. On appeal, the tenant claims the decision is based on false testimony and that critical evidence was withheld by the current landlord. Upon review, staff found that the tenant's claims were unsubstantiated. For this reason, it is recommended that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
8. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Approval of the regular meeting schedule for 2007.
9. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Updated Boardmember Directory. (Executive Director)
(2) Housing California Breaking News article on Local Housing Market Failing Most Families dated December 13, 2006. (Executive Director)
(3) AB1234 requirement for Boardmembers. (Executive Director)
(4) Changes in staffing model. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. Agenda for Monday, December 18 meeting.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance
(7) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.