RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, March 20, 2006
Item 1. Call to Order - Chairperson Chong called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners Present: Arreguin, Chong, Evans, Harrison, Kavanagh, Overman, Spector, Walden Commissioners
Staff Present: Kelekian, Kelly, Wyche
Item 2. Approval of the Agenda. M/S/C (Evans/Overman) TO APPROVE AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Payne.
Item 3. Public Forum. There were no speakers.
Item 4. Approval of theFebruary 23, 2006 regular meeting minutes. M/S/C (Arreguin/Harrison) APPROVE WITH THE FOLLOWING CHANGES: ITEM 2. MOTION TO APPROVE AGENDA WAS MADE BY PAYNE NOT KAVANAGH; ITEM 5.b. MOTION WAS MADE BY EVANS AND SECONDED BY SPECTOR. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-1-1 Abstain: Kavanagh; Absent: Payne.
Item 5. a. Appeal T-4670; 3030 Regent Street, #16. (Continued from 2/23/06 meeting.) M/S/C (Arreguin/Kavanagh) TO ACCEPT PETITIONER'S REQUEST FOR CONTINUANCE. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Payne.
b. Appeal T-4583; 3028 Deakin Street #3. M/S/C (Evans/Harrison) TO ACCEPT STAFF'S RECOMMENDATION. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Payne.
c. Appeal T-4678; 1834 Francisco Street. M/S/C (Arreguin/Spector) TO DENY THE APPEAL. Friendly amendment by Chair Chong and accepted. TO INSTRUCT STAFF TO FAST TRACK THE CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PETITION. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Payne.
Item 6.a.(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
Waiver No. Property Address
3309 1804 62nd Street
3320 2743 Fulton Street
3327 1821 8th Street
3328 1113, 113 ½ & 1115 Chaucer Street
3329 3354, 3358 & 3360 King Street
3330 1600 63rd Street/ 3327, 3329, 3331 California Street
M/S/C (Walden/Arreguin) TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATIONS ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Payne.
Chair Chong left at 8:12 p.m. and turned the meeting over to Commissioner Spector.
7.a. Reports from Boardmembers/Staff
(1) Mid-year Budget Report was presented by the Executive Director.
(2) Update on web casting by Executive Director.
(3) Notices of Exemption Verification mailed. (Copies attached to agenda.)
(4) 2005 Statement of Economic Interests Form 700 due April 3rd. Executive Director reminder.
(5) Council Workshop on Condominium Conversion Ordinance on April 18th.
Commissioner Arreguin requested the Board review the two Housing Department reports which will be provided to City Council. Commissioner Evans proposed an Ad Hoc Committee to review the reports and develop a proposal to present to Council. Substitute Chair Spector and Boardmembers agreed to appoint an Ad Hoc Committee of four Board Commissioners, Evans, Arreguin, Harrison and Overman.
(6) Tenant's Rights Week activities in April. Commissioner Overman announced the event would take place in the second week of April.
(7) Translation of Newsletter into Spanish. Executive Director explained the translation is near completion and a copy will be attached to the next agenda.
(8) Publication of Pieri case ordered. (Copy of Order attached to agenda.)
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC, please go to the Adobe Acrobat web site and download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
(9) Mediation brochure. (Copy attached to agenda.) [PDF file requires, Adobe Acrobat Reader]
Item 7.b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel: Wednesday, April 12 (Time to be determined.)
(2) Outreach: Monday, April 10 at 5 p.m.
(3) IRA/AGA: No meeting scheduled.
(4) Eviction: Thursday, March 30 at 5:30 p.m.
(5) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee: Monday, April 3 at 6:15 p.m. in the Council Chambers at 2134 MLK.
(6) Future Special Meetings. Ad Hoc Committee on Condo Conversion Ordinance. Monday, April 17 at 5:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
Item 7.c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Board member term limits, Regulations 1269 B.(4) and 1211 B after IRA/AGA Committee review.
Item 8. Adjournment: M/S/C (Arreguin/Harrison) MOVED TO ADJOURN. Substitute Chair Spector adjourned at 8:39 p.m.