RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, December 18, 2006
Item 1. Call to Order - Chair Chong called the meeting to order at 7:07 p.m. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners Present: Arreguin, Blake, Chong, Harrison, Kavanagh, Overman, Stephens, Webster
Commissioners Absent: Walden
Staff Present: Kelekian, Tine, Wyche
Item 2. Approval of the Agenda. M/S/C (Blake/Arreguin) APPROVE AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Walden.
Item 3. Public Forum. There were no speakers.
Item 4. Special Order of Business
a. Introduction of Boardmembers-elect The Executive Director, Jay Kelekian, introduced the newly-elected Boardmembers Lisa Stephens, Dave Blake, Pam Webster, Howard Chong, and Chris Kavanagh.
b. Oath of Office of Boardmembers-elect The Berkeley City Clerk, Pamyla Means, administered the Oath of Office to the five Boardmembers-elect.
c. Election of Chairperson: The Executive Director opened the nominations for Chair. Commissioner Harrison nominated Commissioner Jesse Arreguin and he accepted. With no other nominations, the Executive Director closed the nominations and called for a voice vote to elect Commissioner Jesse Arreguin as the new Rent Stabilization Board Chair. Roll call vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Walden.
d. Election of Vice Chairperson: Chair Arreguin opened nominations for Vice-Chair. Commissioner Stephens nominated Commissioner Jack Harrison and he accepted. Commissioner Kavanagh nominated Commissioner Lisa Stephens and she respectfully declined. With no further nominations, Chair Arreguin closed the nominations and called for a voice vote to elect Commissioner Jack Harrison to Vice-Chair. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Walden.
e. Comments by new Chair, Vice Chair and Boardmembers: Newly elected Chair Arreguin and Vice-Chair Harrison thanked everyone for their support and expressed their desire to work effectively with the Board in serving the citizens of Berkeley.
Item 5. Approval of the November 20, 2006 regular meeting minutes. M/S/C (Harrison/Overman) TO APPROVE AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Yes: Arreguin, Chong, Harrison, Kavanagh, Overman; No: None; Abstain: Blake, Stephens, Webster, Absent: Walden. Passed: 5-0-3-1.
Item 6. Report from Legislative Advocate, Christine Minnehan. Christine Minnehan spoke on the challenges of the last two-year legislative session, of the victories and defeats, and of the anticipated challenges with the newly sworn-in legislature. She spoke of the significant victory of the 60-day bill and thanked Boardmembers and everyone else who spent so much of their personal time to ensure that this important legislation passed.
Item 7. Appeal Time Certain - 7:45 p.m.
a. Appeal T-4733/RWN-1438 - 1929 Ashby Avenue. (Continued to January 18, 2007 meeting).
b. Appeal T-4708 - 3231 Baker Street. M/S/C (Harrison/Stephens) TO AFFIRM THE HEARING EXAMINER'S DECISION. Roll call vote. Yes: Arreguin, Blake, Chong, Harrison, Kavanagh, Overman, Stephens, Webster; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Walden. Passed: 8-0-0-1.
Item 8. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Approval of the regular meeting schedule for 2007. M/S/C (Overman/Harrison) TO APPROVE THE 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE AS PROPOSED. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Walden.
M/S/C (Blake/Chong) Motion to reconsider the vote to approve Item 8.a.(1). Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Walden
The motion to reconsider was due to a conflict with a Zoning Board meeting scheduled on February 22. Commissioner Blake suggested Thursday, February 15 as an alternative date for the Rent Board meeting. After it was discovered that two different meeting schedules had been provided to the Boardmembers, one with the February 22 date and the other with the February 15 date, another motion was made. M/S/C (Blake/Overman) TO APPROVE THE 2007 CALENDAR YEAR MEETING SCHEDULE THAT LISTS FEBRUARY 15 AS A REGULAR MEETING DATE. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Walden.
Item 9. a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Updated Boardmember Directory. Self-explanatory. (Executive Director)
(2) Housing California Breaking News article on Local Housing Market Failing Most Families dated December 13, 2006. Self- Explanatory. (Executive Director)
(3) AB1234 requirement for Boardmembers. The Executive Director reminded Boardmembers that the training is mandatory for all Board Commissioners.
(4) Changes in staffing model. The Executive Director informed the Board that the interview and selection process for the three promotional opportunity positions has been completed and announced the staff members who were offered and accepted the positions: Anita Woodruff promoted to an Associate Management Analyst to act as lead person in the Registration Unit, Jacquelyn Morgan promoted to a Community Services Specialist II to assist the Hearing Examiners with the increased work in the Hearings Unit, and Nick Traylor promoted to a Community Services Specialist II, as the point person for outreach and mediation services in the Public Information Unit.
Item 9.b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings. Boardmembers agreed to wait to schedule committee meetings until the Board has a chance to discuss which committees to continue and/or add in 2007, and until such time as Chair Arreguin appoints Commissioners to those chosen committees.
(1) Budget and Personnel
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance
(7) Future Special Meetings
Item 9.c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. The selection of committees for the year 2007.
Item 10. Adjournment M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) Chair Arreguin adjourned at 8:19 p.m. in honor of the newly elected and re-elected Boardmembers.