RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 6:30 PM Closed Session 7:00 PM Regular Meeting.
2. Closed Session - 6:30 p.m.
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION
(Subdivision (a) of Section 54956.9 of the Government Code)
Fuery v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Wang, Stevens)
Superior Court No. RG05199714
Fuery v. City of Berkeley, City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board
Superior Court No. RG05243600
Wahl v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Smoker)
Superior Court No. RG 06279232
Patricelli v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Elkhoraibi)
Superior Court No. RG 06294109
Moodian v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Singh, Dhillon)
Superior Court No. RG 07341613
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Comments from the Chair and Board members.
5. Public Forum
6. Approval of the January 22, 2008 Board Meeting minutes.
7. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-4734; 2990-A Adeline Street. This is a tenant appeal of the hearing examiner’s decision approving rent reductions for some but not all of the habitability claims raised by the tenant in her petition. On appeal, the tenant asserts that the hearing examiner committed legal error by denying the tenant’s claim for a 100% rent ceiling reduction under Regulation 1270 (C) for a decrease in occupancy allegedly caused by the owner’s actions in not notifying the tenant that she could return to the unit after she had voluntarily vacated to facilitate repair and maintenance work on the unit. The tenant also appeals portions of the decision that granted less than the tenant requested for certain habitability and code violations. Legal staff finds that the hearing examiner correctly applied the law and that the evidence supports her factual findings. Accordingly, the hearing examiner’s decision should be affirmed.
8. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposal to authorize the IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee to draft formal comments on the City of Berkeley's draft Climate Action Plan and to communicate the comments to the Climate Action Team prior to the March 7, 2008 closure of the public comment period. (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(2) Discussion and possible action on the selection and appointment of an individual to fill the vacant spot on the Rent Stabilization Board through November 2008. (Executive Director) (To be distributed.) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(3) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3540 1836 Francisco Street
3543 1103 Hopkins Street
3544 2514 Dana Street
3547 1535 Julia Street
3552 1552 Alcatraz Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3505 365/367 Panoramic Way
3507 1337 Ashby Avenue
3527 2902 Ellsworth Street
3539 2932 Adeline Street
3542 1739 Addison Street
3549 1600 Tyler Street
3551 3380 Adeline Street
3555 1604-B Derby Street
9. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports and announcements from Board Members/Staff.
(1) February 11, 2008 communication from Commissioner Chris Kavanagh concerning his resignation from the Rent Stabilization Board. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(2) Committee appointments for 2008. (Chair Arreguin)
(3) Update on proposed change to Condominium Ordinance.
(4) Update on resolving possible conflict in the interpretation of the Rent Control Ordinance by the Zoning Adjustment Board vs. the Rent Stabilization Board and staff. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA/Habitability – Next meeting Monday, February 25th at 4 PM.
a. Unapproved minutes of January 12th meeting.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance
(6) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee of Soft Story
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.