RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 20, 2006
Item 1. Call to Order - Chair Chong called the meeting to order at 7:08p.m. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners Present: Arreguin, Chong, Evans, Kavanagh, Overman (arrived 7:10), Spector, Walden.
Commissioners Absent: Harrison, Payne
Staff Present: Kelekian, Wyche
Item 2. Approval of the Agenda . M/S/C (Evans/Spector) APPROVE AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-3. Absent: Harrison, Overman, Payne.
Item 3. Public Forum. There were no speakers.
Item 4. Approval of the October 16, 2006 regular meeting minutes . M/S/C (Arreguin/Chong). APPROVE AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-1-2. Abstain: Kavanagh, Absent: Harrison, Payne.
Item 5.a.(1) Proposal that the Board adopt a resolution authorizing the Executive Director to increase the Fiscal Year 2006/2007 purchase order with Volt Temporary Agency Services to an amount not to exceed $30,000. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] M/S/C (Chong/Walden) ADOPT RESOLUTION AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2 Absent: Harrison, Payne.
Item 5.a.(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
90-Day Administrative Waivers (Informational Only)
The Board was presented the list of 279 properties totaling $164,055.00 in penalties that have been administratively waived in accordance with Regulation 883.
Waiver No. Property Address
3393 2144 & 2148 Curtis Street
3398 2001-2007 Milvia Street
3403 1155 Francisco Street
3406 3008 Mabel Street
3417 1180 University Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3366 1101 Euclid Avenue
3369 1348-1350 Rose Street
3382 1302 Bancroft Way
3383 3018/3020 Shattuck Avenue
3384 1822 Chestnut Street
3385 1742 Cedar Street
3386 1817 Delaware Street
3387 1934 Hearst Avenue
3388 2224 Jefferson Avenue
3389 2100 California Street
3390 1728 Curtis Street
3391 3111 Harper Street
3392 2252 Parker Street
3397 1225 Bonita Avenue
3399 1737 Virginia Street
3400 2204 Channing Way
3401 2201 Channing Way
3405 1314 Ashby Avenue
3415 1522 Grant Street
3416 1611 San Pablo Avenue
Commissioner Evans pulled Waiver Numbers 3382 through 3391.
M/S/C (Evans/Spector) ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED EXCEPT 3382 THROUGH 3391. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-3 Absent: Harrison, Kavanagh (stepped away), Payne.
Commissioner Evans withdrew his objection to Waivers 3382 through 3391 after receiving clarification from the Executive Director that 10 separate billings were mailed out even though the properties have the same property manager.
M/S/C (Arreguin/Kavanagh) ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON WAIVERS 3382 THROUGH 3391. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-1-2. Abstain: Evans; Absent: Harrison, Payne.
Chair Chong, with no Boardmember objections, moved Item 5.a.(3) to be heard last.
Item 6.a. Information and Announcements
(1) Year-end Budget Report for Fiscal Year 2006. Executive Director gave year-end budget report and answered Boardmember questions.
(2) Copies of recent mailings to all owners and tenants concerning the 2007 AGA and interest rate for refunding interest on security deposits held. Attachments self-explanatory. Commissioner Overman suggested considering changing the banner on the envelopes next mailing to stress the importance of the contents.
(3) Market Median Rent for the period January 1999 through September 2006. Self-explanatory report attached.
(4) Recent additions at the Rent Board and completion of interviews for promotional opportunities. Executive Director announced two additions to the Rent Board, newborns Sophia Traylor and Benjamin Pratter. He also announced that the interviews for the promotional opportunities have been completed and the selections will be announced at the next Board meeting.
(5) Uncertified election results. Attachment self-explanatory. Executive Director pointed out Measure E, the Rent Board vacancy measure passed by 82% and Measure I, Condo Conversion Ordinance, failed by 73%. Commissioners Overman and Kavanagh commended Boardmembers, most notably Jesse Arreguin, and the wisdom of the Berkeley residents.
Item 5.a.(3) Staff and Commissioners pay tribute to Commissioners leaving office.
a. Proposal that the Board pass a resolution in appreciation of Selma Spector's eight years of outstanding service as a Rent Board Commissioner. Former Rent Board Commissioner Judy Ann Alberti read with emphasis and added accolades the resolution acknowledging Commissioner Spector for her eight years of outstanding service. Boardmembers expressed their gratitude for Commissioner Spector's years of community service as a low-income housing advocate. Commissioner Spector gave a gracious outgoing speech, giving special thanks to people that helped her along the way including Carla Woodworth and former Rent Board Commissioners, Mary Ann Lawless (deceased), Sharon Maldonado, Larry Harrison, and Randy Silverman. M/S/C (Overman/Arreguin) RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY UNANIMOUS VOTE.
b. Proposal that the Board pass a resolution in appreciation of Pinkie Payne's four years of outstanding service as a Rent Board Commissioner. Chair Chong read the resolution recognizing Commissioner Payne for her distinguished public service record as a Rent Board Commissioner, Housing Authority Commissioner and member of the Citizen Budget Review Commission, and acknowledged that she not only served on the 4 x 4 Committee and Chaired the Budget and Personnel Committee, that she was also unanimously elected as the Rent Board's Vice Chair for the past two years. Due to her unavoidable absence, Commissioner Payne asked the Executive Director, Jay Kelekian, to express to the Board how much she has enjoyed the past four years serving as a Rent Board Commissioner and how she is looking forward to possibly coming back and working with the Board in the future. M/S/C (Walden/Overman) RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY UNANIMOUS VOTE.
c. Proposal that the Board pass a resolution in appreciation of Bob Evans' four years of outstanding service as a Rent Board Commissioner. Former Rent Board Commissioner Matthew Siegel read the resolution not only acknowledging Commissioner Evans' for his four years of outstanding service as a Rent Board Commissioner and Chair of the IRA/AGA Committee, but also for his contribution as one of the drafters of Measure G, the original amendment to the Rent Control Ordinance, and for his 40 years of devotion as an advocate to combat the historical bias against tenants not just in court, but in society as well. Commissioner Evans thanked his friend and Boardmembers as well as The Berkeley Tenants Union and Berkeley Tenant Organizing Committee, the people who brought him into the tenants' rights movement in the past. M/S/C (Spector/Walden) RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY UNANIMOUS VOTE.
Item 6.b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
Chair Chong announced the appointment of Commissioner Walden to the 4 x 4 committee in place of outgoing Commissioner Pinkie Payne.
(1) Budget and Personnel - No meeting scheduled.
(2) Outreach - Next meeting: Thursday, December 14 at 5 p.m.
(3) IRA/AGA - No meeting scheduled.
(4) Eviction - No meeting scheduled.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee - No meeting scheduled.
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance - No meeting scheduled.
(7) Future Special Meetings - No meeting scheduled.
Item 6.c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Mold and other habitability issues. Commissioner Arreguin suggested the creation of a committee on habitability.
Item 7. Adjournment M/S/C (Chong/Walden) Chair Chong adjourned at 7:58 p.m.