RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, February 7, 2005
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of the January 20, 2005 regular meeting.
5. Appeal Time Certain - 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-4556; 1305 Ashby Avenue. This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision that awarded $282.02 for rent overcharges resulting from a water leak and several minor habitability problems. On appeal, the tenant makes a general claim that he was not given an adequate opportunity to present evidence. The tenant lists, but does not explain, alleged errors in the decision. Upon review, staff recommends that an account adjustment from EBMUD be applied differently in the calculation of water bill overcharges. This adjustment increases the total overcharge award from $282.02 to $332.73. The decision of the hearing examiner should otherwise be affirmed.
6. Special Order of Business
Presentations by Steve Barton, City of Berkeley Housing Director, and representatives from Resources for Community Development, Affordable Housing Associates and University/Satellite Housing on a three-year plan for affordable housing project funding.
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports and information from Executive Director.
(1) Sacramento Housing California Annual Conference - April 24-26.
(2) Soft story community meeting on February 24, 2005.
(3) Updated Guide to Berkeley Rent Stabilization Program.
(4) Letter from Robert Englund, concerning the number of vacancies in Berkeley.
b. Committee meeting announcements and reports. (Committee meetings will be held at the Rent Board Offices located at 2001 Center Street, 2nd Floor, Law Library unless otherwise noted.)
a. Agenda: February 4th meeting.
(2) Outreach - Next meeting: Thursday, February 10th at 6 p.m.
(4) IRA/AGA - Next meeting: Monday, February 14th at 6 p.m.
(5) 4 x 4
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.