RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, August 29, 2005
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - Closed Session: 6:15 Regular Meeting: 7:00 p.m.
2. Closed Session - 6:15 p.m.
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - Existing Litigation (Subdivision (a) of Section 54956.9 of the Government Code)
Nemarian v. Nicoletti
Alameda County Superior Court Case No. BG05204709.
Smith v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Wike-Brown)
Alameda County Superior Court No. RG05208460
Berkowitz v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Rice-Evans)
Alameda County Superior Court No. RG03115504
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of the July 7, 2005 regular meeting minutes.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Recommendation to adopt a Resolution authorizing the Executive Director extend the agreement with the City of Berkeley Housing Department whereby the Board will pay the Housing Department no more than $10,000 in the 2005/2006 Fiscal Year to continue to monitor the contract compliance of the Board's community agency service providers. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(2) Recommendation to adopt a Resolution authorizing the Executive Director to request that the City Council amend the Ellis Act Implementation Ordinance (Berkeley Municipal Code (BMC) Chapter 13.77) to provide Relocation Assistance to all Displaced Tenants. (Eviction Committee) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(3) First reading of proposed amendments to Regulation 1380 to conform length of good faith owner-occupancy requirement with Berkeley Municipal Code Section 13.76.130.A.9 and to clarify that a landlord's failure to offer an available non-comparable unit to a tenant being evicted for owner or relative occupancy constitutes a defense to the eviction (Eviction Committee) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(4) Discussion and possible action on changes to the TIC/Condo Conversion Ordinance. (Eviction Committee)
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Soft story update. (Board members and Executive Director)
(2) Market Medians: January 1999 through June 2005 [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(3) Registration update. (Executive Director).
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. Unapproved minutes of July 1st meeting.
a. Unapproved minutes of May 31st meeting.
a. Agenda of July 11th meeting (no quorum).
a. Approved minutes of July 6th meeting.
b. Unapproved minutes of August 22nd meeting.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee.
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
(1) Web casting.
(2) Joint Rent Board Commissioners Spring Conference.