RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, October 17, 2005
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the September 8, 2005 regular meeting minutes.
5. Appeal Time Certain - 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-4641 - 2199 Grant Street #3. This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision that awarded a 10% rent reduction for eight days for a loose handrail in the common area of the apartment building. On appeal, the tenant contends that the landlord had prior notice of the loose handrail and that rent reductions should have been granted for a water leak in the bathroom and for defects noted in the report of the tenant's private housing inspector. Upon review, staff recommends that the hearing examiner decision be modified to grant a 5% rent reduction for two months. In all other respects, the decision should be affirmed.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Adoption of the 2006 Annual General Adjustment (AGA) Order, Regulation 1128. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(2) Recommendation to the Board to immediately adopt Regulation 1017 as an emergency regulation in accordance with Regulation 608. Regulation 1017 is intended to enable landlords to provide emergency housing to disaster victims without risk of suffering long-term financial disadvantage and to assist disaster victims in finding temporary housing while coping with the effects of the disaster. (IRA/AGA Committee)[PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(3) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
90-Day Administrative Waivers (Informational Only)
The Board will be presented the list of 290 properties totaling $191,969 in penalties that have been administratively waived in accordance with Regulation 883.
Waiver No. Property Address
3266 2336 Curtis Street
3270 2732 Derby Street
3290 2526 Piedmont Avenue
3300 2129 Rose Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3273 2920 Stanton Avenue
3287 1345 Ward Street
3292 2533 Hillegass Avenue
3293 2559 Le Conte Avenue
(4) Recommendation to cancel November 7, 2005 meeting due to the election. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items
to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on Apparent Lawful Rent notices. (Executive Director)
(2) Update on Soft Story Ordinance. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader] -- link to City Council 10/18/2005 report.
(3) Update on changes to the TIC/Condo Conversion Ordinance. Letter to Mayor and City Council re proposed amendments. (Executive Director and Eviction Committee) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader] -- link to City Council 10/18/2005 report.
(4) Update on Drayage Building Situation (Executive Director and Commissioners)
(5) Letter from David Howland requesting a rent increase for 2701 Durant to compensate for the rising costs of natural gas. (Executive Director)
(6) Notice of Public Hearing - Berkeley City Council 10/18/05 Proposed Amendments to the General Plan Housing Element.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. Unapproved minutes of October 4th meeting.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
(1) Report on web casting.