RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, November 21, 2005
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the October 17, 2005 regular meeting minutes.
5. Presentation on Web Casting of Rent Stabilization Board Meetings, by City of Berkeley, Information Technology Department Deputy Director, Donna LaSala
6. Appeal Time Certain - 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-4641 - 2199 Grant Street #3. (Continued from October 17, 2005 meeting.) This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision that awarded a 10% rent reduction for eight days for a loose handrail in the common area of the apartment building. On appeal, the tenant contends that the landlord had prior notice of the loose handrail and that rent reductions should have been granted for a water leak in the bathroom and for defects noted in the report of the tenant's private housing inspector. Upon review, staff recommends that the hearing examiner decision be modified to grant a 5% rent reduction for two months. In all other respects, the decision should be affirmed.
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Recommendation that the Board authorize the Executive Director to increase the Volt Temporary Services purchase order. (Budget and Personnel Committee) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader ]
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3268 2311 Piedmont
3289 1920/1922 Bonita Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3276 2531 Ridge Road
3277 2205/2207 5th Street
3278 804/806 Allston Way
3279 2824 10th Street
3280 2331 9th Street
3281 3207/3209/3211/3213 Ellis Street
3282 1530 Henry Street
3284 1607 Walnut Street
3288 1612 Hopkins Street
3298 2315 Durant Avenue
3301 1347 Hearst Avenue
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on proposed changes to the Ellis Implementation Ordinance. (Executive Director) [Links to City Council Agenda Item 8.a.(1), November 15, 2005; PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader ]
(2) Update on Soft Story Ordinance. (Executive Director)
(3) Update on changes to the TIC/Condo Conversion Ordinance.
(4) Market Median Rent for the period January 1999 through September 2005 [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader ]
(5) Copies of recent mailings to all owners and tenants concerning the 2006 AGA and interest rate for refunding interest on security deposits held. [Links to AGA Notice Page]
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. November 10th unapproved minutes.
a. October 4th meeting minutes.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
(1) Selection of a Chair and Vice-Chair
(2) Authorization to contract to purchase a new phone system