RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, January 5, 2004
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
Please Note: The Board may rearrange items to accommodate time certain items.
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of the December 15, 2003 regular meeting.
5. Appeal - Time Certain - 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-4471; 1830 Hearst Avenue. This is an appeal of a master-tenant who claims that the 60%-40% rent split set by the hearing examiner is unfair. Appellant argues that a 65%-35% split is more equitable. The subtenant had been paying 77% of the rent, while appellant paid 23%. The Board's practice is to defer to the findings of the hearing examiner when reviewing findings of fact based primarily on testimonial evidence, provided the findings are based on substantial evidence in the record. Here, the findings are based on such evidence. For this reason, it is recommended that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
6. Action Items
From Board Members, Committees and Executive Director
a. Establishing a process for selecting a replacement to fill the seat vacated by Commissioner Siegel.
(1) Recommendation on the process to be followed when voting for the replacement to vacant seat on the Board. (Commissioner Evans)
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports and information from Board Members/staff.
(1) Interim appointment to the 4x4 Committee (Chair Anderson)
(2) Planned improvements to the Rent Board's office space at 2125 Milvia Street. (Executive Director)
(3) Status report on the new waiver procedures (Executive Director)
(4) Passing of former Board Commissioner Gerda Miller (Executive Director)
b. Committee meeting announcements and reports. (Committee meetings will be held at the Rent Board Offices located at 2001 Center Street, 2nd Floor, Law Library unless otherwise noted.)
(2) Outreach - Next meeting: Monday, January 12 at 6 p.m.
(3) Eviction - Next meeting: Tuesday, January 13 at 6 p.m.
(5) 4 x 4
(6) Ad Hoc Commissioner Selection Process
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.