RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, June 21, 2004
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of the Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the Minutes - Minutes of June 7, 2004 regular meeting.
5. Presentation by Building Official Joan MacQuarrie, accompanied by Arrietta Chakos, Assistant to the City Manager and Dan Lambert, Senior Management Analyst and Project Manager in Building and Safety, on developing programs to respond to buildings identified as soft story construction.
6. Appeal - Time Certain - 7:30 p.m.
Appeal T-4324; 1603 Alcatraz Avenue. This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision awarding rent overcharges to current and former tenants. On appeal, petitioners claim that the overcharges awarded former tenants should have been awarded to them. They also claim that the various rent decreases granted by the hearing examiner should have been greater, longer in duration, or not denied. Petitioner allegations are not supported by evidence in the record. For this reason, the decision of the hearing examiner should be affirmed.
7. Action Items
a. From Executive Director and Committees
That the Board adopt on second reading a proposal to amend Regulation 1004 [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader], Provision of Certificate of Permissible Rent Level, to provide that where a petition for an Individual Rent Adjustment is pending when a Request for Certificate of Permissible Rent Level is filed, the Certificate will not be issued within five days but instead the Request shall be consolidated with the pending IRA. (IRA/AGA Committee)
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Rent Board and City Staff.
(1) Update on proposed changes to Ordinance that went to Council on June 15th. (Executive Director)
(2) Measure Y Tracking Report. (Executive Director) (To be delivered)
(3) Registration Update. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(1) Budget and Personnel
(a) Agenda and minutes of June 23rd meeting.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.