RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Thursday, September 9, 2004
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m. Regular Meeting
2. Approval of the Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the Minutes - Minutes of August 16, 2004 regular meeting.
5. Appeal - Time Certain 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal T-4499; 2636 Matthews Street. This is a landlord's appeal of a hearing examiner decision that found that the lawful rent ceiling for the subject unit was $575 per month, not $700. (The landlord had been collecting $700 per month and refunding $125.) A $2.59 rent refund was also ordered because the stove was disconnected for one day. On appeal, the landlord challenges the Board's jurisdiction to issue a decision on the petition and questions the basis for the decision. Upon review, staff found no merit to the appeal and recommends that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
6. Action Items
a. From Executive Director
Proposal to cancel the November 1, 2004 regular Board meeting.
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Upcoming Rent Board events.
(2) Market Median Rents: January 1999 through June 2004
(3) FY 2005 Budget Book (To be distributed)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(1) Budget and Personnel
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.
8. Closed Session pursuant to Government Code section 54957.6
CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Board Negotiator: Commissioner Chong