RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, September 20, 2004
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of the Agenda
3. Closed Session pursuant to Government Code section 54957.6 - 7:00 p.m.
CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
Agency designated representatives: Commissioners Chong, Hogarth, Payne and Walden.
Unrepresented employee: Executive Director
4. Approval of the Minutes - Minutes of September 9, 2004 regular meeting.
5. Appeal - Time Certain 7:30 p.m.
a. Appeal T-4253; 2323 Hearst Avenue. (Continued to October 4, 2004 regular Board meeting.)
b. Appeal T - 4180; 1931 Berryman St. #302. The tenant appeals the hearing examiner decision that found that, but for three days when there was no heat, the landlord had not overcharged rent. On appeal, the tenant challenges several of the hearing examiner's findings claiming that the findings are contrary to the evidence presented. A review of the hearing transcript and the documents presented at the hearing, however, proves that, although there were numerous problems in the tenant's unit, none of the problems significantly impaired the use of the premises. For this reason, it is recommended that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
6. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Court of Appeal affirmation of Superior Court judgment upholding Rent Board Regulation 1310.D in the case of Hanerfeld v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Case A103412). (Legal staff)
(2) Solano Stroll summary. (Executive Director)
(3) How Berkeley Can You Be. (Outreach Committee)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(1) Budget and Personnel - Next meeting: Wednesday, September 22nd at 11:00 a.m.
(a) Agenda for the September 22, 2004 meeting.
(2) Outreach - Next meeting:
(a) Agenda and unapproved minutes of September 13th meeting.
(3) IRA/AGA - Next meeting: Thursday, September 30th at 6:30 p.m.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.