RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, April 15, 2002
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3
BTV Cable Channel 25 and
CTV Cable Channel 78
1. Roll Call - 6:30PM Closed Session 7:00PM Regular Meeting
2. Closed Session - 6:30PM
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION (Subdivision (a) of Section 54956.9 of the Government Code)
Dezerega v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board [Meggs] Superior Court No. 2001-032280
3. Approval of the Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of the Minutes - Minutes of April 1, 2002 regular meeting.
6. Appeals - Time Certain - 7:30 PM
Appeal T- 4127 - 2455 Prospect Avenue, #206 - The landlord appeals a hearing examiner decision that found that the tenant changed rooms in the landlord's rooming house because of a misrepresentation by the landlord that his room was being converted to a bathroom. As a consequence, the hearing examiner reduced the rent on tenant's new room to the amount paid on the vacated room and awarded a refund of rent overcharges. On appeal, the landlord requests that the petition be remanded for a hearing. However, at the time the petition was filed, the landlord was notified that he needed to file an objection to the petition for a hearing to be held. Moreover, the decision is supported by substantial evidence in the record and the allegations made by the landlord on appeal do not provide a basis for modifying it. For these reasons, it is recommended that the decision be affirmed.
7. Public Hearing on the Fiscal Year 2002/2003 Budget: Establishing Budget and Registration Fee - 8:00PM
a. Summary of past budgets, current program, history of registration fees, and Status Quo Budget: Executive Director.
b. Public testimony on the budget and registration fee.
c. Discussion and adoption of Resolution setting Fiscal Year 2002/2003 Budget and establishing the annual Registration Fee.
8. Action Items
a. From Executive Director
(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendations on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
Waiver Number Location
2822 2109 McGee Avenue
2823 2832 8th Street
2824 2637 Durant Avenue
2827 2920 Hillegass Avenue
2828 1530 Bonita Avenue
2829 1536 Bonita Avenue
(2) Discussion of dates for closed session meetings re Executive Director Search.
1. Friday, April 19, 2002: 6:00 p.m.
2. Friday, May 10, 2002: 6:00 p.m.
3. Saturday, June 8, 2002: 9:00 a.m.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(2) Community Education and Outreach - Monday April 22 at 6PM at 2001 Center Street, 2nd Floor
(4) Individual Rent Adjustment/Annual General Adjustment
(5) Student Outreach and Internship
(6) 3x3 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
Special Closed Session meeting to discuss Executive Director search - Friday, April 19 at 6PM at 2001 Center Street, 2nd Floor.
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.