RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, June 3, 2002
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3
BTV Cable Channel 25 and
CTV Cable Channel 78
1. Roll Call - Closed session: 6:30 PM Regular meeting: 7:00 PM
2. Closed Session pursuant to Government Code section 54957 - 6:30 PM
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
Title: Executive Director
3. Approval of the Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of May 23, 2002 Minutes
6. Special Order of Business
Election of Vice Chair.
7. Appeals - Time Certain - 7:30PM
Appeal T-4076 - 1721 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, #3 - The tenants appeal a finding that there is insufficient evidence in the record to establish that the subject unit was rented in 1980. A review of the record establishes that there is conflicting information concerning the occupancy of the unit in 1980. The evidence is sufficient to support the hearing examiner's conclusion that the tenants failed to meet their burden of proving that their unit had been rented in May 1980. Also, because the owner acted on documents and information given to him by the Board when he set the tenants' rent in 1998, the doctrine of equitable estoppel precludes the Board from now reducing that rent. For these reasons, it is recommended that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(1) Budget and Personnel
(2) Community Education and Outreach
(3) Eviction - Monday, June 10, 6:00 p.m. at 2001 Center, 2nd Floor.
(4) IRA/AGA - Tuesday, June 4, 5:30 p.m. at 2001 Center, 2nd Floor.
(5) Student Outreach and Internship - TBA - August
(6) 3x3 City Council/RSB Housing Committee - TBA
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.