RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, October 7, 2002
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 25 and
CTV Cable Channel 78
1. Roll Call - 7:00 PM
2. Approval of the Agenda
3. Public Hearing on the Year 2003 Annual General Adjustment (AGA) and the draft AGA Report - 7:05PM
a. Update on operating costs for AGA.
b. Testimony from members of public.
c. Comments from Board Members, questions to staff and consultant.
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of the September 23, 2002 regular meeting.
6. Appeals - Time Certain - 8:00 PM
Appeal T-4212, 4213 to 4217 - 1626/1654 Dwight Way - The landlord and tenants appeal the hearing examiner decision that found that a rent reduction was appropriate for the loss of use of the swimming pool but, given its small size, no reduction was warranted for the removal of the roof top sun deck. On appeal, the landlord claims no reduction should be granted because he was replacing the pool with a communal recreation area, that overcharges should be excused because of the lengthy hearing process and that the reduction in pool maintenance was not raised in the tenant petitions. The tenants claim a rent reduction should have been granted for the removal of the sun deck. Upon review, staff recommends that a $25 per month reduction be granted for the loss of the sun deck. The decision of the hearing examiner should otherwise be affirmed.
7. Action Items
a. From Executive Director
(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendations on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
Waiver No. Location
2870 2319 Roosevelt Avenue
2874 1330 University Avenue
2878 1203 Haskell Street
1888 1332 Carrison Street
2889 2529 Dana Street
2891 1426 7th Street
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(2) Community Education and Outreach - Wednesday, November 6 at 6 p.m., 2001 Center, 2nd Floor.
(4) IRA/AGA - Thursday, October 10, 6 p.m., 2001 Center, 2nd Floor.
(5) Student Outreach and Internship
(6) 3x3 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.