RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, December 16, 2002
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Berkeley, CA.
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 FM
BTV Cable Channel 25 and
CTV Cable Channel 78
1. Roll Call - 7:00PM
2. Approval of the Agenda
Please Note: The Board may rearrange items to accommodate time certain items.
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of the December 2, 2002 regular meeting.
5. Appeals - Time Certain - 7:30 p.m.
Appeal T-3907/T-3920: 1809 and 1821 Spruce Street. This is a landlord appeal of a hearing examiner decision that reduced the rent on two units because the landlord's policy of not allowing his tenants to replace departing co-tenants had reduced the occupancy level of each unit to a level below the unit's base occupancy level. On appeal, the landlord contends the decision is not supported by evidence in the record and challenges the validity of Board Regulation 1270(C). Following review of the record, staff recommends that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
6. Action Items
a. From Executive Director
(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following request for waiver of late registration penalties. (Continued from December 2, 2002 regular meeting.)
Waiver No. Location
2890 2212 San Pablo Avenue
(2) Proposal that the Rent Board support the Rental Housing Safety Program (RHSP) by funding a half-time Housing Inspector for the second year of operations, at a cost of $35,000.
(3) Proposal to adopt a 2003 Board Meeting Schedule.
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports and information from Board Members/staff.
(1) 2003 Committee Assignments (Chair)
(2) February 26th Poetry Slam (Director)
(3) Copy of December 10, 2002 Council report titled "Confirming the Results of the November 5, 2002 Municipal Election" (Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(2) Community Education and Outreach
(5) Student Outreach and Internship
(6) 3x3 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.