RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, March 17, 2008
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Special Order of Business – Filling Board Vacancy [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
a. Open mike to applicants who have submitted letters of interest [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader] to the Board applying for the vacant Commissioner seat.
b. Questions to the applicants by Boardmembers.
c. Discussion and appointment of new Commissioner to serve on the Board through November 2008. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of February 21, 2008 regular meeting minutes .
6. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal T-4884, 2215 Blake Street, Upper Unit. The landlord appeals the hearing examiner’s decision ordering her to refund the remainder of the tenants’ security deposit and accrued interest. On appeal, the landlord argues that the hearing examiner misapplied the evidence presented. The landlord also claims that the tenants damaged the unit, left it dirty, and owed rent. Nevertheless, a review of the evidence presented reveals that the hearing examiner correctly determined that the tenants were due their entire security deposit with interest. Accordingly, the hearing examiner’s decision should be affirmed.
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Board Opposition to Proposition 98. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Chair Arreguin)
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3546 1112 Channing Way
3550 1405 Fairview Street
3558 1615 - 5th Street
3557 2217 California Street
3563 1635 Francisco Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3553 1817 Fairview Street
3554 1940 Francisco Street
(3) Recommendation to the Board of a process to be used in evaluating the Executive Director. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Budget and Personnel Committee)
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Rent Board assistance to City of East Palo Alto. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader] (Executive Director)
(2) Mailing of Apparent Lawful Rent notices. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader] (Executive Director)
(3) 2008 Annual Housing Conference April 28th – 30th. (Executive Director)
(4) Rent Board counseling at Senior Centers begins March 17th. (Executive Director)
(5) Proposal before EDMUD Board to end water turnoffs when foreclosed lenders fail to pay the water bill. (Commissioner Chong)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story Ordinance
(7) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.