RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, May 21, 2001
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 25
1. Roll Call - 6:30PM Closed Session. 7:00PM Regular Board meeting
2. Closed Session: - 6:30 PM
Pursuant to Govt. Code Section 54957:
To discuss the employment of the Executive Director.
3. Approval of the Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Special Order of Business
Report from Carol Lopes and Arrietta Chakos regarding City of Berkeley Project Impact.
6. Approval of the Minutes
Minutes of the May 7, 2001
7. Appeals - Time Certain - 7:30 PM
Appeal RWN-1321 - 930 Page Street. This is a property owner appeal of the hearing examiner's decision that found that the property needed to be registered pursuant to the rent ordinance. On appeal, the owner argues that, because there is a door between the two separately rented spaces in the building, the structure should be considered a single-family house that is exempt from the Ordinance even though each rented space has its own mailing address and gas and electric meter and the connecting door is permanently closed. There is substantial evidence in the record to establish that there are two dwelling units on the property that need to be registered with the Rent Board. Therefore, it is recommended that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
8. Action Items
a. From Committees
(1) Recommendation to adopt resolution authorizing the Executive Director to enter into a contract with the East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) to provide services to tenants in Berkeley. (Eviction Committee)
b. From Executive Director
(1) Recommendation to adopt resolution approving a 4% COLA increase to the Rent Stabilization Board Senior Hearing Examiner classification as approved by the City Council for all other City of Berkeley Public Employees Union Local One classifications.
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendations on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
Waiver No. Location
2552 1534 Fairview Street (Continued from
May 7, 2001)
2562 3038 Mabel Street
2594 1818 Alcatraz Avenue
2617 2924 Mabel Street
2619 1537 63rd Street
2631 1508 Stuart Street
2632 1649 Julia Street
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee Meetings:
(2) Community Education and Outreach: Tuesday, May 29 at 5:30PM - 2001 Center, 2nd Floor, Law Library.
(3) Eviction: Thursday, June 7 at 6PM - 2001 Center, 2nd Floor, Law Library.
(4) Individual Rent Adjustment/Annual General Adjustment
(5) Student Outreach and Internship
(6) 3x3 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda material.