Ordering a Death Certificate



The City of Berkeley Vital Records maintains documentation of deaths that occurred within Berkeley City limits since 1895.  Contact the county, state, or country in which the event occurred to request the record of a birth or death that occurred outside Berkeley.  City of Berkeley does not issue marriage certificates.  Contact the Alameda County Recorder at (510) 272-6363 for marriages in Berkeley.

Important Note:  Beginning July 1, 2003, the California Health and Safety Code, Section 103526, permits only authorized persons as listed to receive certified copies of birth or death records.  Requests submitted by mail or by fax must include a notarized statement attesting to the identity of the requestor attached to the application.   Individuals requesting in person can receive an authorized copy after first submitting a sworn statement under penalty of perjury that the requester is an authorized person.

Certified certificates are issued on a long form (8 1/2 " x 11") security paper with an official embossed seal, acceptable for social security, insurances, and all other legal purposes.  Expedited Services is available.   Detailed instructions are given below.







Click here to see the fees  


Death Certificate Application Form

Solicitud de Ata de Defuncion