CECO: Commercial Property Sold or Transferred
BESO to Replace RECO/CECO
Effective December 1, 2015, Berkeley's Building Energy Saving Ordinance (BESO) will replace both the Residential and Commercial Energy Conservation Ordinances (RECO and CECO). The transition from RECO/CECO to BESO will occur between October 9, 2015 and December 1, 2015. Effective October 9, 2015, RECO/CECO deferrals are no longer available. For more information about the transition from RECO/CECO to BESO, see www.cityofberkeley.info/BESO
Owners of commercial properties need to apply for CECO prior to sale of the property.
- Check the CECO property status list If property is not exempt, complete the following steps:
- Schedule and get CECO audit (Receive Form 2 post-audit)
- File for CECO permit
- Make improvements and upgrades specified in audit
- Schedule Inspection
- Include evidence of compliance (completed CECO Form 2 with inspector signature verifying compliance) in the closing package delivered to the buyer
1. Check Exempt Properties Status
Check the online CECO property status list or call 510-981-7439 and provide address and Assessors Parcel Number to check on exemption status if you are unsure.
2. Schedule and get CECO Audit and receive Form 2
- Call to request an Energy Audit: 510-981-9819. Audits are conducted by an Authorized Auditor. CESC (Community Energy Services Corporation) is the only authorized CECO Auditor. For more information see: CESC webpage. The audit will be completed and Form 2 will be sent to you post-audit within ten working days of your call. If you request an expedited CECO audit, your audit will be scheduled and forms processed within five working days.
- Alternate: Conduct a self-audit. See Performing a Self Audit for CECO for more information. This booklet provides detailed steps for checking all energy systems, equipment and appliances for CECO compliance. If performing a self-audit use Self-Audit Checklist. Self-audits will trigger a full audit review by a City of Berkeley building inspector which may identify additional measures.
3. File for CECO Permit
Complete and submit all required documents and fees together. Submit the following complete permit package:
- CECO Form 1
- CECO Form 2 CESC will send you a completed Form 2 after your audit to be included in your permit application. For self-audit see Self-Audit Checklist (see section 2 above).
- Permit and Inspection* Fees
Mail (or submit in person) to: Permit Service Center, Building & Safety Division, 2120 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704. See Permit Service Center website for hours and directions.
4. Make improvements and upgrades specified in audit
Complete and install all audit required CECO measures
5. Schedule Inspection
Call the City of Berkeley Building and Safety Division 24 hour request line at 981-7444 to self-schedule an inspection, or schedule an inspection online at http://www.CityofBerkeley.info/BuildingInspections.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Permit (Application) Number
- Permit Type
- Inspection Type
- Inspection Date
- A Contact Telephone Number
NOTE: Inspections are scheduled for the next available City of Berkeley business day.
When your building passes inspection, you will receive a final signed copy of CECO Form 2 showing what measure(s) have been installed or complied with.
Authorized Audit Fees: Due and payable to the auditor at time of audit.
Less than 30,000 sq. ft.:
- Class I Audit: $180.00/audit; includes all energy systems except for hot water boilers or steam boilers, multi-zone HVAC systems, chillers or commercial refrigeration equipment.
- Class II Audit: $250/audit; includes ALL systems.
Greater than 30,000 sq. ft. No more than the amounts below:
- Class I Audit: $0.01/square foot of total conditioned floor space
- Class II Audit: $0.02/square foot of total conditioned floor space
- Expedited Audit Fee: Double the regular audit fee.
- Missed appointment fee: $115.00 The applicant will be charged if they do not show within 15 minutes of the appointed time. An applicant may reschedule or cancel an appointment without charge if they call at least one working day before the appointment.
- Re-visit Fee: $90.00 Please have someone familiar with the building and its mechanical systems available to unlock the doors, locate equipment and operate the building system controls for the auditor. If the auditor must make a second visit to the site to gather information that was not available on the first visit, or to access a part of the building that was inaccessible on the first visit, the applicant will be charged.
City of Berkeley Permit and Inspection Fees: Due and payable to the City of Berkeley at time of permit filing.
- Total City permit and inspection fees are $114.50 ($20 permit filing fee plus $94.50 pre-paid inspection fee). Note, inspection fee is not required if ALL measures are in compliance AND Form 2 was prepared by the Authorized Auditor (CESC). Inspection is required for all self-audits.
CECO Forms (PDF files)
- CECO Form 1 General Application
- Form 2 will be provided to you by CESC (authorized CECO auditor) post-audit unless you are conducting a self-audit (see Section 2 above)
- CECO Form 3 Application for Appeal
- CECO Form 4 General Exemption Form
For more information, see Ordinance 6176-N.S.
Back to Homepage for Office of Energy and Sustainable Development