RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, May 12, 2008
North Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst Ave.
NO TV, NO RADIO, NO WEBCAST
1. Roll Call - Closed session: 6:30 PM Regular Meeting: 7:00 PM
2. Closed Session pursuant to Government Code section 54957 - 6:30 PM
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION.
Title: Executive Director
Closed Session pursuant to Government Code section 54957.6 - 6:45 PM
CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR Board Negotiator: Jay Kelekian
Report from David Hodgkins, Director of Human Resources, on labor negotiations.
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of April 21, 2008 regular meeting minutes.
6. Discussion and possible action regarding the 2009 annual registration fee and adoption of the Fiscal Year 2008/2009 Budget. 7:15PM
a. Public testimony on the annual registration fee and 2008/2009 Fiscal Year budget.
b. Discussion and recommendation of the Fiscal Year 2008/2009 budget overview, staffing model and annual registration fee. (Executive Director and Budget and Personnel Committee Members.)
c. Comments and questions from Board members.
d. Discussion and adoption of a Resolution setting Fiscal Year 2008/2009 budget guidelines and establishing the annual registration fee. (Executive Director and Budget & Personnel Committee Members)
e. Discussion and adoption of a Resolution giving authorization to pass through to certain tenants a portion of year 2008/2009 registration fee as a temporary general adjustment of rent ceilings. (Executive Director and Budget and Personnel Committee Members.)
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Recommendation to adopt a resolution to extend the contract with Berkeley Community Media for the 2008/2009 Fiscal Year. (Executive Director)
(2) Recommendation to adopt resolutions authorizing the Executive Director to extend the Rent Board’s contract with the East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) and Eviction Defense Center (EDC) for the 2008/2009 Fiscal Year. (Executive Director)
(3) Recommendation to adopt a resolution authorizing the Executive Director to extend the contract with Legislative Advocate Christine Minnehan & Associates for the Fiscal Year 2008/2009. (Executive Director)
(4) Recommendation to adopt a resolution to extend the contract with Quartet Systems for the 2008/2009 Fiscal Year. (Executive Director)
(5) Discussion and possible action regarding the interest rate payable on tenant security deposits pursuant to Berkeley Municipal Code section 13.76.070. (IRA/AGA Committee)
(6) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3575 1706 Derby Street
3580 1336 Addison Street
3581 2109 Byron Street
3583 2537 Chilton
3588 1715-6th Street
3589 1740 Derby Street
3590 2037 Vine Street
3591 2938 Ellis Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3556 2206 – 10th Street (continued from April 21st meeting.)
3574 3141 College
3577 3415 – 7th Street
3578 3411 Adeline Street
3579 2625-2627 Regent
3584 2429 Shattuck Avenue
3587 1208-1210 Dwight Way
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Spring newsletter. (Executive Director) (To be distributed)
(2) ¾ -year budget update. (Executive Director) (To be distributed)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. Minutes of May 6th meeting.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. Unapproved minutes of May 5th meeting.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
a. Minutes of May 1st meeting.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc on Condominium Conversion Ordinance.
(7) Ad Hoc on Soft Story.
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.