BERKELEY CITY COUNCIL SPECIAL MEETING
MONDAY, MAY 12, 2008
Council Chambers – 2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Teleconference Location – 1636 Channing Way, Berkeley, CA
Tom Bates, Mayor
District 1 – Linda Maio
District 5 – Laurie Capitelli
District 2 – Darryl Moore
District 6 – Betty Olds
District 3 – Max Anderson
District 7 – Kriss Worthington
District 4 – Dona Spring
District 8 – Gordon Wozniak
Roll Call: 7:15 p.m.
Present: Councilmembers Anderson, Capitelli, Maio, Moore, Olds, Spring, Wozniak, and Mayor Bates.
Public Comment – Items on this agenda only – 26
1. Final EIR Certification - Helios and Computational Research and Theory Buildings (Continued from May 6, 2008) (PDF)
From: Councilmember Olds
Recommendation: Direct the City Manager to write a letter to the Regents of the University of California requesting an extension of 30 days to review the FEIR for the Helios and Computational Research and Theory Buildings. If the 30 day review period is denied by the UC Regents, that the City Council oppose certification of the Final Environmental Impact Reports until such time as alternative sites, already zoned and currently available for such industrial research and development facilities, are fully studied.
Request a staff report to Council on May 20th, 2008, analyzing the Final Environmental Impact Report on both the Helios and Computational Research and Theory Building specifically evaluating changes to the projects in response to the city’s original concerns and comments.
Financial Implications: None
Contact: Betty Olds, Councilmember, District 6, 981-7160
Action: M/S/C (Olds/Anderson) to approve Councilmember Olds’ revised recommendation to direct the City Manager to write a letter to all individual Regents of the University of California including the following language:
- Request an extension of 30 days to review the FEIR for the Helios and Computational Research and Theory Buildings
- That the Berkeley City Council opposes the certification to the FEIR in its current form.
- Request that the Regents of the University of California meet in person in Berkeley before certification of the FEIR and approval of the Helios Energy Research Facility and the Computational Research Facility.
- Urge the Regents to view the public testimony from the May 12 special meeting and include a DVD copy of the meeting.
Ayes – Maio, Moore, Anderson, Spring, Capitelli, Olds, Wozniak and Bates. Absent – Worthington.
Adjournment – 9:11 p.m.
Council rules limit action on Communications to referral to the City Manager and/or Boards and Commissions for investigation and/or recommendations. All communications submitted to Council are public record. Communications are not published directly to the City’s website. Copies of individual communications are available for viewing at the City Clerk Department and through Records Online.