RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 12, 2008
Meeting was not broadcast.
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC, please go to the Adobe Acrobat web site and download Acrobat Reader for free. If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail (email@example.com), telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll Call – Chair Arreguin called the Closed session meeting to order at 6:16 PM. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Calfee, Chong, Harrison, Stephens, Webster, Walden, Arreguin
Commissioners absent: Overman
Chair Arreguin called the regular meeting to order at 7:22 PM. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Calfee, Chong, Harrison, Stephens, Walden, Webster, Arreguin
Commissioners absent: Overman
2. Closed Session pursuant to Government Code section 54957 - 6:30 PM
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION.
Title: Executive Director
Closed Session pursuant to Government Code section 54957.6 - 6:45 PM
CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR Board Negotiator: Jay Kelekian
Report from David Hodgkins, Director of Human Resources, on labor negotiations.
No action taken by Board on either item.
3. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Stephens/Walden) MOVE ITEM 7.a.(5) AFTER APPROVAL OF MINUTES. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Overman.
4. Public Forum - Victoria Finn discussed Waiver 3556 on her property at 2206 10th Street.
5. Approval of April 21, 2008 meeting minutes. M/S/C (Blake/Harrison) APPROVED WITH TWO CORRECTIONS: UNDER ROLL CALL COMMISSIONER BLAKE WAS PRESENT AT THE CLOSED SESSION MEETING, AND ITEM 8.a.(2) COMMISSIONER ARREGUIN VOTED NO. Voice vote. 8-0-0-1. Absent: Overman.
7.a.(5) Discussion and possible action regarding the interest rate payable on tenant security deposits pursuant to Berkeley Municipal Code section 13.76.070. [PDF file] M/S/C (Chong/Blake) ACCEPT ALTERNATIVE 1 AS THE PREFERRED ALTERNATIVE “Amend Regulation 702 to allow landlords who verify that a tenant’s security deposit has been held in an account at a bank located in Berkeley to return interest at the rate equal to the average of the Interest rates offered by Berkeley banks for six-month CDs.” AND TO DIRECT STAFF TO PLACE THE FIRST READING OF REGULATION 701 AND 702 CHANGES ON THE NEXT BOARD MEETING AGENDA. Voice vote. 8-0-0-1 Absent: Overman.
6. Discussion and possible action regarding the 2009 annual registration fee and adoption of the Fiscal Year 2008/2009 Budget. [PDF file] 7:15PM
a. Public testimony on the annual registration fee and 2008/2009 Fiscal Year budget. No one from the public spoke.
b. Discussion and recommendation of the Fiscal Year 2008/2009 budget overview, staffing model and annual registration fee. Executive Director discussed the budget overview. The Budget and Personnel Committee recommended a budget guideline amount not to exceed $3,517,00 and to leave the registration fee at $170 in the 2008/2009 fiscal year.
c. Comments and questions from Board members.
d. Discussion and adoption of a Resolution setting Fiscal Year 2008/2009 budget guidelines and establishing the annual registration fee. M/S/C (Stephens/Chong) ADOPTED A RESOLUTION SETTING A BUDGET GUIDELINE AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $3,517,000 AND SETTING THE REGISTRATION FEE AT $170 FOR THE 2008/2009 FISCAL YEAR. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Overman.
e. Discussion and adoption of a Resolution giving authorization to pass through to certain tenants a portion of year 2008/2009 registration fee as a temporary general adjustment of rent ceilings. M/S/C (Chong/Webster) APPROVE RESOLUTION AS WRITTEN. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Calfee, Chong, Walden, Webster, Arreguin; No: Harrison, Stephens; Abstain: None; Absent: Overman.
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Recommendation to adopt a resolution to extend the contract with Berkeley Community Media for the 2008/2009 Fiscal Year in an amount not to exceed $19,000. [PDF file]
(2) Recommendation to adopt resolutions authorizing the Executive Director to extend the Rent Board’s contract with the East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) and Eviction Defense Center (EDC) for the 2008/2009 Fiscal Year in the amount of $12,000 for each contract. [PDF file] M/S/C (Chong/Harrison) TO ADOPT BOTH RESOLUTIONS AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. 8-0-0-1. Absent: Overman.
(3) Recommendation to adopt a resolution authorizing the Executive Director to extend the contract with Legislative Advocate Christine Minnehan & Associates for the Fiscal Year 2008/2009 in an amount not to exceed $45,000. [PDF file]
(4) Recommendation to adopt a resolution to extend the contract only with Quartet Systems for the 2008/2009 Fiscal Year with no additional money added. [PDF file](Executive Director)
M/S/C (Chong/Stephens) TO ADOPT RESOLUTIONS AS WRITTEN FOR ITEMS 7.a.(1), 7.a.(3) and 7.a.(4). Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Overman.
(5) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3575 1706 Derby Street
3580 1336 Addison Street
3581 2109 Byron Street
3583 2537 Chilton
3588 1715-6th Street
3589 1740 Derby Street
3590 2037 Vine Street
3591 2938 Ellis Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3556 2206 – 10th Street (continued from April 21st meeting.)
3574 3141 College
3577 3415 – 7th Street
3578 3411 Adeline Street
3579 2625-2627 Regent
3584 2429 Shattuck Avenue
3587 1208-1210 Dwight Way
Commissioners pulled Waivers numbers 3556 and 3579.
M/S/C (Chong/Blake) ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATIONS ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED EXCEPT FOR NUMBERS 3556 AND 3579.
Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-1-1. Abstain: Stephens; Absent: Overman.
M/S/C (Chong/Walden) IMPOSE A $300 PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3556. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Stephens, Walden, Webster; No: Calfee, Arreguin; Abstain: Harrison; Absent: Overman. Passed: 5-1-2-1.
BOARD APPROVED WAIVER NUMBER 3579 TO BE TABLED UNTIL NEXT MEETING IN ORDER FOR STAFF TO RECALCULATE FIGURES.
M/S/C (Walden/Calfee) MOTION TO RECONSIDER PREVIOUS MOTION TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED EXCLUDING NUMBERS 3556 AND 3579. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Calfee, Chong, Harrison, Walden, Webster, Arreguin; No: Stephens; Abstain: None; Absent: Overman. Passed: 7-1-0-1.
M/S (Walden/Calfee) TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATIONS ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED EXCLUDING 3556 AND 3579 AND CHANGING WAIVER NUMBER 3587 TO WAIVE 90% OF THE PENALTY. Roll call vote. Yes: Calfee, Chong, Walden; No: Blake, Harrison, Stephens, Webster, Arreguin; Abstain: None; Absent: Overman. Failed: 3-5-0-1.
M/S/C (Blake/Harrison) TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATIONS ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED EXCLUDING 3556 AND 3579. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-1-1. Abstain: Stephens; Absent: Overman.
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Spring newsletter. [PDF file] Executive Director distributed copies.
(2) ¾ -year budget update. Executive Director distributed tables of information in order to discuss Rent Board fund balance for Fiscal Years 2002 – 2006 and Fiscal Years 2008 and 2009 Proposed Budget, Fiscal Year 2008 Adopted Budget, and 2009 revised Status Quo.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel - To be scheduled off line.
(2) Outreach - To be scheduled off line.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability - To be scheduled off line.
(4) Eviction/Section 8 – Nothing scheduled.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee – Nothing scheduled.
(6) Ad Hoc on Condominium Conversion Ordinance – To be scheduled second week of June off line.
(7) Ad Hoc on Soft Story – Nothing scheduled.
(8) Future Special Meetings – Monday, May 19th at 6 p.m. at 2125 Milvia Street, 2nd Floor Law Library. Closed Session on Personnel Matter/Executive Director evaluation.
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Budget for 2008/2009 Fiscal Year.
9. Adjournment (Blake/Harrison) Chair Arreguin adjourned at 9:35 p.m.