RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, July 21, 2008
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - Closed session: 6:00 PM Regular meeting: 7 PM
2. Closed Session - 6 PM
a. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION, pursuant to Government Code section 54957.
Title: Executive Director
b. CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS: Commissioners Stephens and Harrison, pursuant to Government code section 54957.6.
Unrepresented Employee: Executive Director
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Comments from Boardmembers.
6. Approval of June 16, 2008 regular meeting minutes.
7. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal T-4848 – 2533 Milvia Street. (Continued from June 16th meeting.) This is a subtenant’s appeal of a hearing examiner’s decision that found that the subtenant had been overcharged rent by the master tenant. The master tenant is a Rent Board commissioner. On appeal, the subtenant asks the Rent Board to withhold the stipend the master tenant receives for serving on the Board and pay the money to him (the subtenant) to satisfy the master tenant’s debt. Without a court order, the Rent Board lacks the authority to withhold the commissioner’s stipend. For this reason, staff recommends that the appeal be denied.
b. Appeal RWN-1458 – 1600 Woolsey Street. This is an appeal of a hearing examiner’s finding that the subject property was exempt from the Rent Ordinance because it is a single rental unit, not a rooming house. A review of the record establishes that this finding is supported by substantial evidence in the record. For this reason, staff recommends that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
8. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposed changes to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance. [PDF file requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Executive Director and Ad Hoc Committee)
(2) Recommendation to adopt at first reading proposed amendments to Regulations 701 [Security Deposits] and 702 [Payment of Interest on Security Deposits]. [PDF file requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Blake and Stephens)
(3) Board notification of tenants and owners of possible foreclosures. (Chong)
(4) Recommendation to the Board to adopt a resolution authorizing the issuance of a purchase order for Volt Temporary Agency for the 2008/2009 Fiscal Year in an amount not to exceed $20,000. [PDF file requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Executive Director)
9. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on registration. (Executive Director)
(2) Rent Board in the library and senior centers. (Executive Director)
(3) Memorial for Louise Marouis. (Stephens)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings .
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. Minutes of June 30th meeting.
b. July 14th meeting cancelled.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story Ordinance
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance
a. Minutes of July 14th meeting.
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.