Artist: (Late) Miles Karpilow
Media: Hand-carved, sustainable Honduras Mahogany
Dimensions: each door is 8’ wide x 11’ tall
Date of Construction: 2000 Date of Installation: 2002
Location: The Berkeley Central Public Library, 2150 Kittredge Street
Artist-craftsman Miles Karpilow hand-carved the two wooden gates providing a grand entry portal into the Local History Room of the renovated Berkeley Central Library. He was chosen from a pool of 25 local artists who competed in a public process for the Library gates commission. He had been a furniture maker and woodcarver for over 40 years and is recognized as a prominent second-generation member of the “Studio Furniture” movement of craftsmen originating in Berkeley.
These sculptural gates are the first public art project completed under the City of Berkeley’s new public art program. Karpilow hand carved the two wooden sculptural, functional gates using sustainable, certified Honduras Mahogany.
The library gates design utilizes a combination of organic and geometric forms nad references the Mayan-inspired decorations incorporated into the façade of the library building, which was designed by Berkeley architect James W. Plachek in 1931. The gates complement the art deco-era building architecture. The sculptural gates are dedicated to the late director of the Berkeley Public Library, Deedie Lines.