RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 18, 2008
1. Roll Call - Chair Arreguin called the meeting to order at 7:11 PM. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake (7:14), Calfee, Harrison, Overman, Stephens, Webster, Arreguin.
Commissioners absent: Chong, Walden
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Overman/Stephens) APPROVE AGENDA AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-3 Absent: Blake, Chong, Walden.
4. Public Forum. There were two speakers, Paul Barker and Barbara C. Grant Tengeri.
5. Approval of July 21, 2008 regular meeting minutes . M/S/C (Stephens/Blake) APPROVED WITH A CORRECTION TO THE SPELLING OF THE NAME LOUISE MARQUIS IN ITEMS 9.a.(3) AND 10. Voice vote. 7-0-0-2. Absent: Chong, Walden.
6. Approval of August 4, 2008 special meeting minutes. M/S/C (Overman/Harrison) APPROVE WITH CHANGE TO ITEM 1. CALL TO ORDER – SPECIAL MEETING COMMISSIONERS PRESENT CHANGE BLACK TO BLAKE.
7. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal IRD-11, 1500 Cedar Street, B. M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) AFFIRM HEARING EXAMINER’S DECISION. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Calfee, Harrison, Overman, Stephens, Webster, Arreguin; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Chong, Walden. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
7.a.(1) Recommendation to adopt at second reading proposed amendments to Regulations 701 [Security Deposits] and 702 [Payment of Interest on Security Deposits] to become effective on November 2, 2008. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) TO ADOPT AT SECOND READING PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO REGULATIONS 701 AND 702, TO BECOME EFFECTIVE ON NOVEMBER 2, 2008. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2 Absent: Chong, Walden.
8.a. Information and Announcements
(1) Market Medians: January 1999 through June 2009. Executive Director briefly discussed. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
(2) Update on proposed changes to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance. Executive Director said that the Board’s recommendations would be given to Council after their August recess and after meeting with the Housing staff. He also suggested that the Ad Hoc Committee on Condo Conversion meet soon.
8.b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel – No meeting scheduled.
(2) Outreach - To be scheduled off line.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability – No meeting scheduled.
(4) Eviction/Section 8 - No meeting scheduled. Chair Arreguin appointed himself as an alternate when there is no quorum.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee – No meeting scheduled.
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story Ordinance – No meeting scheduled. Chair Arreguin wants to start discussions on the status of the project.
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance – To be scheduled off line.
(8) Future Special Meetings – None
8.c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Discussion on proposed changes to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance and update on Soft Story project.
9. Adjournment - M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) Chair Arreguin adjourned at 8:00 PM.