RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 15, 2008
1. Roll Call - Chair Arreguin called the meeting to order at 7:06 PM. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Calfee, Chong (arrived 7:34), Harrison, Stephens, Walden (arrived 7:10), and Arreguin.
Commissioners absent: Overman, Webster
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Stephens/Blake) APPROVE AGENDA AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 5-0-0-4 Absent: Chong, Overman, Walden, Webster.
3. Public Forum There were two speakers, Paul Barker and Barbara C. Grant Tengeri.
4. Approval of August 18, 2008 regular meeting minutes. M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) APPROVED AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. 6-0-0-3. Absent: Chong, Overman, Webster.
6. Action Items (Items taken out of order to allow for appeal time certain at 7:15.)
6.a.(1) Proposal that the Board adopt a resolution to amend the Executive Director’s contract to extend the term, increase the salary and modify the benefits. M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) TO ADOPT AS WRITTEN WITH THE NEW EFFECTIVE DATE. Roll call. Yes: Blake, Calfee, Harrison, Stephens, Walden, Arreguin, No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Chong, Overman, Webster. Passed: 6-0-0-3.
6.a.(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
Waiver No. Property Address
3605 1725 Stuart Street
3612 1106 Oxford Street
3613 1400 67th Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3582 2516 Ellsworth Street
3614 1541 Oxford Street
3615 2000 Durant Avenue
3616 2405 Fulton Street
3617 1912 Milvia Street
3618 2228 San Pablo Avenue
3619 1612 Parker Street
3620 2509 10th Street
3631 2308 Prince Street
M/S/C (Blake/Harrison) TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATIONS ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED WITH ONE CORRECTION ON WAIVER NUMBER 3614, WHICH SHOULD READ TO WAIVE 90% INSTEAD OF 10% OF THE PENALTY. THIS TYPO DID NOT CHANGE THE WAIVER CALCULATION, IT WAS CORRECT. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-3 Absent: Chong, Overman, Webster.
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal T-4917 – 2731 Haste Street, #5. M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) TO AFFIRM HEARING EXAMINER’S DECISION. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Calfee, Chong, Harrison, Stephens, Walden, Arreguin, No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Overman, Webster. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
7.a. Information and Announcements
(1) Update on proposed changes to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance. The Executive Director said that both the Housing Department report and the Rent Board’s companion report are scheduled to go to Council on September 23rd and should be published on Thursday late afternoon.
(2) Letter from a Berkeley landlord concerning penalties assessed on water users who surpass the mandatory limits, with a suggestion that the Board consider setting up a process by which landlords or tenants could petition to have the penalties assessed on the correct party. Chair Arreguin said letter self-explanatory.
7.b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings .
(1) Budget and Personnel – Will schedule off line.
(2) Outreach - No meeting scheduled.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability – No meeting scheduled.
(4) Eviction/Section 8 - No meeting scheduled.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee – No meeting scheduled.
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story Ordinance – No meeting scheduled.
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Condo Conversion Ordinance – To be scheduled off line.
(8) Future Special Meetings – None
7.c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Follow up on proposed changes to Condominium Conversion Ordinance.
8. Adjournment - M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) Chair Arreguin adjourned at 7:55 PM.