RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, November 17, 2008
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - Closed Session 6:15 PM Regular Board meeting 7 PM
2. Closed Session – 6:15 PM.
CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54956.8.
Property: Rent Stabilization Program office space at 2001 Center Street.
Negotiating parties: Rent Stabilization Board and 2001 Center Group.
Under negotiation: Lease term and amount.
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of October 20, 2008 regular meeting minutes.
6. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal L-3926 This is an appeal of a hearing examiner’s decision that granted rent adjustments for historically low rents pursuant to Board Regulation 1280. The appeal was filed thirty-seven days after the decision was mailed to the parties. The appeal is, therefore, untimely and should be dismissed by the Rent Board.
7. Action Items From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Recommendation concerning extension of lease at 2125 Milvia Street. (Executive Director) (To be delivered)
(2) Recommendation that the Board accept revised wording in the Executive Director’s employment contract. (Executive Director) (Delivered 11/17/08)
(3) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3603 1524 Woolsey Street
3611 1305 Carrison Street
3622 1807-1809 Milvia Street
3623 1735-6th Street
3624 2976-82 Otis Street
3637 1738 Stuart Street
3638 1534 Fairview Street
3647 2020 Blake Street
3649 2719 Woolsey Street
3652 3114 Ellis Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3621 2112-8th Street
3626 2420 Acton Street
3627 1615 Parker Street
3634 1917-6th Street
3648 1741 Virginia Street
3650 2604 Mathews/1138 Parker Streets
3655 2108 Stuart Street
3656 2412 Dwight Way
3657 2332 Fulton Street
3658 2412/2416 Fulton Street
3659 2209 Cedar Street
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items
to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Preliminary election results from the November 4, 2008 Berkeley election. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
(2) Update on proposed changes to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance. (Executive Director)
(3) Report on Market Medians: January 1999 through September 2008. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
(4) AGA mailing to owners and tenants. (Executive Director)
(5) Fall 2008 Newsletter. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
(6) November 11, 2008 Daily Cal article by Carol Yur titled UC Berkeley Professors Face High Home Prices, Limited Housing. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story Ordinance
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.