Location and Hours

The Permit Service Center (PSC) is located at 2120 Milvia Street (at the corner of Milvia and Center Streets), and provides direct customer service to those seeking building permits and zoning information.  Applications for building and zoning permits are accepted at the PSC and building permits are issued here. The Permit Specialists at the PSC coordinate review of building permit applications with other city agencies as needed.

Permit Service Center Hours of Operation are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. All financial transactions must be concluded by 4:00 p.m. Acceptable Methods of Payment are Visa, MasterCard, Checks and Cash.

Reduced Hours and Closures in November and December

COUNTER HOURS for agencies working at the Permit Service Center:

Land Use: available at the counter 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Planners will not be available at the counter Tuesday's after 2:30 p.m.)
Building & Safety: available at the counter 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. 
Public Works Engineering: available at the counter 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Fire Plan Check:  available at the counter 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Environmental Health available at 2180 Milvia St., 2nd Floor - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Traffic Engineering available at 1947 Center St., 3rd Floor - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or by appointment

Appointments - Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. to submit permit applications with plans (new, re-submittals and revisions).  No applications with plans will be taken after these hours.

Over the counter and walk-in applications may be submitted as staff is available.  All other PSC counter applications may be submitted from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with the understanding that appointments come first.

Appointments can be made for all services provided by the PSC at (510) 981-7500.

On-Line Services
Plan Check Status
- You may use your web browser to check the status of a plan check for a building permit application that has been submitted for city review.

Go to the Plan Check Status Page now to begin.

Parcel Conditions and Building Permits
The parcel search application provides the development conditions and building permit history for a specific address or parcel number, along with an interactive map, which displays the parcel number and zoning for adjacent parcels. http://gisproxy.ci.berkeley.ca.us/activebuildingpermit 

Permits via Fax or Email
Approval of Plans via Email
The Permit Service Center (PSC) will email you when your project has been approved by all agencies.  Please ensure that the PSC has a valid email address. 

Applications via Email
The Permit Service Center (PSC) can accept permit applications via email to the Permit Center Mailbox (permits@cityofberkeley.info), if you are not able to fax an application to (510) 981-7505. 

 Correction Letters via Email
The Permit Service Center (PSC) now has the ability to email correction letters.  To ensure you can benefit from this service, please provide the PSC with your email address when submitting for a permit.  We will continue to mail correction letters when an email address is not available.  (This process may take between 3-5 days.)  Any questions, please contact any Permit Service Center Staff.



Authorization to Obtain a Permit

Owner Builder DeclarationsEffective March 1, 2009, State law (Health and Safety Code Section 19825) requires certain forms be filed by owner builders before obtaining a permit. If you are not using a licensed contractor to perform the work, you must fill out and return to the Permit Service Center the Owner Builder Verification & Limitation of Sale Form before obtaining a permit.  If you are using an authorized agent (i.e., a relative, friend or permitting service company) to obtain the building permit.

Authorization of Agent Form - If you are using an authorized agent (i.e., a relative, friend or permitting service company) to obtain a building permit, you must fill our and return to the Permit Service Center the Authorization of Agent Form before obtaining a permit.

Licensed Contractor - A licensed contractor will need a valid City of Berkeley business license to obtain a construction permit in the City of Berkeley. Please review guidelines for obtaining business licenses at

All businesses operating in the City of Berkeley are required to have a current business license for each location.  If you are opening a new business, buying an existing business, or transferring a business to your ownership, you must apply for a new business license under your name.  The following information provides and overview of the City's Business License requirements.