RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, December 15, 2008
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of November 17, 2008 regular meeting minutes.
5. Special Order of Business
a. Introduction of Board members-elect, Nicole Drake, Igor Tregub, Judy Shelton and Jack Harrison, and Jesse Townley by Councilmember Arreguin.
b. Oath of Office of Board members-elect: The Berkeley City Clerk will administer the Oath of Office to Board members-elect, Nicole Drake, Igor Tregub, Judy Shelton, Jack Harrison and Jesse Townley.
c. Election of Chairperson: Executive Director conducts election for Chair.
d. Election of Vice Chairperson: Newly elected Chair conducts election for Vice-Chair.
e. Comments by new Chair, Vice-Chair and Board members elect: Newly elected Boardmembers, chair and vice-chair speak as desired.
6. Special Order of Business
a. Resolution to be presented to Councilmember Arreguin on behalf of the Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board and staff in appreciation of 4 years of outstanding service as a Rent Board Commissioner and two years as the Board’s Chairperson. (To be delivered.)
b. Resolution to be presented to former Commissioner Overman in appreciation of 4 years of outstanding service a Rent Board Commissioner. (To be delivered.)
c. Resolution to be presented to former Commissioner Walden in appreciation of nearly 5 years of outstanding service a Rent Board Commissioner. (To be delivered.)
d. Resolution to be presented to former Commissioner Calfee in appreciation of outstanding service as a Rent Board Commissioner. (To be delivered.)
e. Comments from former Boardmembers.
7. Legislative update by Legislative Advocate, Christine Minnehan.
8. Action Items From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Review and approval of proposed 2009 Rent Board meeting schedule. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(2) Proposal that the Board pass a resolution ratifying a new four year Memorandum Agreement with Public Employees Union Local One for the term June 29, 2008 through June 23, 2012, as negotiated by the City. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(3) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3524 1506 Russell Street
3609 1123 & 1125 Hearst Avenue
3633 1349 Neilson Street/1342 Northside Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3596 845 Dwight Crescent
3650 2604 Mathews/1138 Parker Streets
3661 1204 Blake Street
3663 1115 Addison Street, #1
3666 2325 McKinley Avenue
3672 1917 Delaware Street
3689 1802 Bonita Avenue
3690 1951 Chestnut Street
9. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Final results from the November 4, 2008 Berkeley election. (Executive Director)
(2) Public School Outreach Project. (Executive Director and Commissioner Webster)
(3) November 7, 2008 KTVU and Bay City News article titled Alameda Jury Orders Landlord to Pay $5.5 Million to Tenants. (Executive Director)
(4) November 20, 2008 Daily Cal article by Carol Yur titled City Landlords Given Alternative for Investing Security Deposits.
(5) November 24, 2008 e-mail communication from Georgefq@aol.com concerning amending Regulation 702. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story Ordinance
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.