Welcome to the City’s Employment Page for Recreation programs. We pride ourselves in continually offering exciting, interactive, and fun activities for all ages in the Berkeley community. If you have the desire to make a difference in the lives of others, you’ve come to the right place. The City offers temporary jobs in our Residential Camps, Community Centers, Sports Programs, Aquatics Facilities, and Playground Programs.
Now accepting applications for the Summer 2016 season! Employment Application
Minimum age for employment is 16 years.
Positions available at:
Application Process (for all summer positions):
*PLEASE NOTE: Echo Lake Camp and Berkeley Day Camp positions require supplemental questionnaires. Click on the above program links for more information.
- Fill out the Employment Application and complete any applicable supplemental questionnaire. Application must include an original signature. Be sure to mark all program areas in which you'd like to be considered for employment.*
- In the "Employment Record" portion of the City’s application, list all your paid or volunteer experience, as it applies to the job. Examples include: camp counselor positions, babysitting jobs, youth coaching experience, leadership camps, youth mentoring programs, etc.
- In the “Relevant licenses, certificates, or training” portion of the City’s application, list all relevant certificates that apply to the job. Examples include: First Aid and CPR, Lifeguard, WSI, etc.
- Attach all required certificates with your application. (Please refer under “job requirements” for required certificates for the position you are applying for with the City).
You may mail or drop-off your completed applications to:
City of Berkeley Recreation Division
2701 Telegraph Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
- You may fax your application to (510) 981-5160.
- Upon receipt, your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted by phone or email if you are selected for an interview.
Candidates under serious consideration must provide proof of a recent negative T.B. test prior the beginning of the program or agree to get one as condition of employment. An original Social Security card is also required.
California state law requires that all recreation employees and volunteers having direct contact, supervisory or disciplinary authority over minors be fingerprinted as a condition of employment. Candidates under serious consideration for hire will be referred for fingerprinting.
Candidates under the age of 18 will require a work permit.
*(pdf) This is a pdf format, if you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader, please download from City's download site. If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), (510) 981-5150, or TDD (510) 981-6903.