RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 PM
2. Closed Session - 6:30 p.m.
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION
(Subdivision (a) of Section 54956.9 of the Government Code)
Woodland Park Management, LLC. v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board
Alameda County Superior Court No. RG09429345
City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board v. Paulos
San Francisco County Superior Court Nos. 820219, 820220, 820221
Fuery v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Wang, Stevens)
Alameda County Superior Court No. RG05199714
Wahl v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Smoker)
Alameda County Superior Court No. RG 06279232
Moodian v. City of Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board (Singh, Dhillon)
Alameda County Superior Court No. RG 07341613
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of December 15, 2008 regular meeting minutes.
6. Special Workshop on the history and purpose of the Condominium Conversion Ordinance.
a. Presentation by Dr. Stephen Barton, Senior Planner, Rent Stabilization Board.
b. Comments and questions by Boardmembers.
7. Action Items From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
a. Proposed revisions to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance. (Executive Director)
b. Restoring second monthly Rent Board meeting for Committee meetings, workshops and informational presentations. (Chong, Townley)
c. Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3628 1436-1438 Alcatraz Avenue
3664 1911-1913 Berkeley Way
3668 3008 Dana Street
3670 2204 Channing Way
3671 3010 MLK Jr. Way
3673 1507 Arch Street
3692 1743 Blake Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3666 2325 McKinley Street (Continued from 12/15, 2008 regular Board meeting.)
3669 2522 Warring Street
3676 2255 Hearst Avenue
3683 2525 Regent Street
3686 2321 Dwight Way
3687 1933 McGee Avenue
3688 117 Tamalpais Road
3693 2928 California Street
3695 1429 Spruce Street
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Rent Board Committee List for 2009. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Chair Stephens)
(2) Update on Public School Outreach Project. (Executive Director)
(3) City of Berkeley Budget Reduction Strategies. (Executive Director)
(4) January 2, 2009 article Lake Tahoe Condo Project Forcing Residents Out. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Safe & Sustainable Housing
(7) Condominium Conversion
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.