For Immediate ReleasePress Contact: Alice LaPierre, Office of Energy and Sustainable Development, (510) 981-7435
GET OFF YOUR GAS CONTEST
2009 Berkeley Residential Natural Gas Efficiency Contest
Berkeley, California (Monday, February 09, 2009) - The Berkeley "Get Off Your Gas!" contest is aimed at educating and rewarding Berkeley residents who reduce their natural gas energy consumption this winter. Natural gas customers who reduce their gas usage during February 2009 relative to their 2008 usage of the same time frame are eligible to participate and win. Start reducing your natural gas consumption now to save money, save energy and win!
The contest will compare residential energy bills between the winters of 2008 and 2009. Contestants will submit information from their February PG&E bill as part of the contest application. Please use the information from the PG&E bill that is received between February 25, 2009 and March 30, 2009 to enter the contest. Prizes will be awarded in several categories, including greatest amount of natural gas reduction from last year, lowest overall natural gas bill, lowest amount of natural gas used per household resident, and most creative efficiency strategy. The contest application is available on the City of Berkeley website at www.cityofberkeley.info/sustainable
- Must be Berkeley resident (renter or homeowner)
- Must be a PG&E customer and receive a natural gas energy bill
- Must have lived in the same home since at least January 1, 2008
- Last day to apply is April 1, 2009
Energy Saving Tips:
- Lower water heater temperature to 125 degrees F
- Wash laundry in cold water
- Use a clothesline or rack when possible to dry clothes
- Program thermostat to 68 degrees F or lower when your home is occupied, and 60 degrees F or off when no one is home
- Add attic, wall or floor insulation
- Weatherstrip to reduce air infiltration
This contest is co-sponsored by PG&E as a part of their "Winter Gas Savings Program" which rewards customers who reduce their cumulative gas usage during January and February 2009 with a bill credit of up to 20% on their March or April gas bill.
For more information about the Get Off Your Gas Berkeley contest, contact Berkeley Office of Energy & Sustainable Development at www.CityofBerkeley.info/Sustainable or contact Alice La Pierre, Energy Efficiency Program Manager, 981-7435 or email energy@CityofBerkeley.info.