RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, April 20, 2009
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
3hrs, 28mins - trimmed, "jump" points not edited
1. Roll Call. - 7:00 PM
2. Approval of agenda.
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of March 16, 2009 Regular Meeting Minutes.
5. Appeal – 7:15 PM
Appeal T-4971 – 1260 Hopkins Street, #22.
This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision that held that a payment for locksmith service was not a rent overcharge. On appeal, appellant requests an opportunity to present additional evidence to establish that the key broke in the lock on the entry door of his unit because the door warped and prevented the deadbolt lock from moving freely. The evidence appellant seeks to submit, with reasonable diligence, could have been produced and presented at the initial hearing. Therefore, there is no basis to remand the petition for an additional evidentiary hearing. Similarly, several other issues raised by the appellant do not warrant modification of the hearing examiner decision. Accordingly, staff recommends that the decision be affirmed.
6. Fiscal Year 2009/2010 Budget and Registration Fee.
a. Presentation by Matt Brown, Manager of Public Information and Registration Units.
b. Report from Executive Director concerning FY 2009/10 budget process and annual registration fee. (To be delivered.)
7. Public Hearing on the Annual Registration Fee and the Fiscal Year 2009/2010 Budget. 8:00 PM
a. Public testimony on the annual registration fee and 2009/2010 Fiscal Year budget.
b. Comments and questions from Board members.
8. Action Items From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
a. Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3722 2718-20 MLK Jr. Way
3723 2632 Benvenue Avenue
3724 1138 Addison Street
3725 2442 Grant Street
3728 2314 – 10th Street
3730 2409-15 - 10th Street
3731 1715 Bancroft Way
3735 2424 – 10th Street
3736 2401 McKinley Avenue
3737 2817 Woolsey Street
3742 2243 Oregon Street
3743 1349 Rose Street
3744 2398 Hilgard Avenue
3745 2422 Hilgard Avenue
3747 780 Wildcat Canyon Road
Waiver No. Property Address
3718 2807 College Avenue
3721 2615 Regent Street
3733 2432/2434 McGee Avenue
3734 3010 California Street
3738 1410 Cornell Avenue
3740 2110 Spaulding Avenue
3748 2421 Prospect Street
3750 1810 Euclid Avenue
b. Rent Board Recommendation to City Council on Rental Housing Safety Program fee. (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
9. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on Webmethods contract and time line. (Executive Director)
(2) Update on Berkeley Tenants Survey. (Executive Director)
(3) Rent Board staff ergonomic study. (Executive Director)
(4) Copy of March 24, 2009 letter from Chair Stephens to City Council regarding Rental Housing Safety Program Fee Increase. (Executive Director)
(5) East Bay Community Law Center’s announcement of Eviction Clinic move on May 4, 2009. (Executive Director)
(6) News Release Environmental Defense Fund Applauds City of Los Angeles for Approving First Municipal Program That Links Green Jobs and Green Building. (Commissioner Tregub)
(7) April 15, 2009 Daily Cal article by Carol Yur, City Considers Joint Application for Stimulus Funds to Buy Foreclosed Properties. (Executive Director)
(8) CNN State of the Union article by John King, Tenant evicted even though she pays rent. (Executive Director)
(9) CNN State of the Union article by John King, ‘Defenders’ help homeowners fight eviction. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. February 27, 2009 approved meeting minutes.
b. March 27, 2009 meeting agenda.
c. April 13, 2009 meeting agenda.
a. March 6, 2009 approved meeting minutes.
b. April 17, 2009 meeting agenda.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. February 23, 2009 approved meeting minutes.
b. March 23, 2009 meeting agenda.
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. February 26, 2009 approved meeting minutes
b. March 26, 2009 meeting agenda.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
a. April 22, 2009 meeting agenda.
(6) Safe & Sustainable Housing
a. January 22, 2009 approved meeting minutes.
b. February 19, 2009 approved meeting minutes.
c. March 16, 2009 meeting agenda.
d. April 20, 2009 meeting agenda.
(7) Future Special Meetings – Board meeting setting registration fee on May 4, 2009.
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.