For Immediate ReleasePress Contact: Mary Kay Clunies-Ross, PIO, City Manager's Office, (510) 981-7008
FUN-FILLED SATURDAY IN DOWNTOWN BERKELEY WILL HAVE TRAFFIC IMPACTS
Berkeley, California (Thursday, April 23, 2009) - Because of multiple events being held in downtown Berkeley on Saturday, April 25, visitors and residents are being urged to use public transit, bicycles or walk when traveling in and around downtown. Street closures around Civic Center Park will restrict auto traffic throughout the day and will also require the relocation of the City CarShare vehicles.
The weekly Farmers’ Market, the annual Earth Day festival, and the rare appearance of the Dalai Lama are all coinciding around the City’s Civic Center Park on Martin Luther King, Jr. Way. Some event details:
Farmers Market, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Center Street, between Milvia and MLK
The Berkeley Farmers' Markets will be celebrating being the first farmers' market in the nation to eliminate plastic bags and packaging! There will be a raffle for Zero Waste Kits, gift certificates, and other prizes. Free raffle tickets will be given for each container or bag you bring that moves us closer to our Zero Waste goal.
Berkeley Earth Day, noon - 5 p.m., Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Park, 2151 MLK, Jr. Blvd at Center St.
Berkeley sponsors this annual event to celebrate Earth Day and the global environmental movement. Enjoy music, dance, demonstrations of bio-diesel and electric cars, solar power, and many other fun-filled activities.
Dalai Lama at Berkeley's Community Theater, 1930 Allston Way
Gate close at 3:15 p.m., event begins at 3:45 p.m.
There are no tickets are available for this event.
Transportation and Parking:
- Expanded valet bike parking will be available Civic Center Park, corner of Milvia and Allston Way;
- Take BART or AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley, walk 1 block west;
- There will be no vehicle parking available behind Civic Center Building anytime Saturday, April 25;
- City CarShare vehicles will be relocated to the south side of Center Street, east of Milvia. Signs will also be posted to direct the users to the site of the vehicles. The relocation only applies to Saturday.
- Allston Way will be closed between Milvia and MLK from 10 a.m.-6 p.m..