- Age: Must be at least 18 years of age
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D. certificate
- Vision: Minimal uncorrected vision of 20/100 in each eye- both corrected to 20/30 normal color vision
- License: Valid California Class C Driver's License as well as satisfactory driving record, and must obtain Firefighter Endorsement prior to the completion of the Fire Academy
- Paramedic License Requirement: California Paramedic License, National Registry Paramedic Certification Card, or active participation in a Paramedic Field Internship Program. Applicants who are actively participating in a paramedic field internship must provide proof of internship status on school letterhead at time of application
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) Card of Completion issued no earlier than August 1, 2015
Additional components to the examination process may be added, depending on the needs of the Department.
By Date of Appointment:
- Candidates must possess a current and valid California Paramedic License
- Candidates considered for appointment will be required to undergo an extensive background investigation and successfully complete a thorough medical examination, and pre-employment drug screening (may also include a pre-employment psychological exam).
- Successful completion of the Alameda County accreditation core courses.
- Firefighter-Paramedics appointed will be required to reside within forty (40) air miles from Berkeley City limits.