RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, August 17, 2009
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
(1hr, 5 mins)
Teleconference location–Conference Room,7701 Arvada Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM
This meeting will be conducted in accordance with the Brown Act, Government Code Section 54953, and Teleconferencing. Any member of the public may attend this meeting at either location. Questions regarding this matter may be addressed to Jay Kelekian, Executive Director and Secretary to the Board, 981-7368.
(Amended adding teleconference location)
1. Roll Call. - 7:00 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of July 20, 2009 meeting minutes.
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal T-5003/RWN-1482 This is a landlord’s appeal of a rent withholding order issued to compel registration and an award of rent overcharges that resulted from habitability problems on the premises. The landlord claims he failed to register the property because he was given inaccurate information by Board staff. He also claims that the dates he received notice of the habitability problems are incorrect. The property is currently registered. Therefore, the rent withholding order should be dissolved. In addition, the tenant was required to give the landlord written notice of the mold problem. For this reason, the decision of the hearing examiner should be modified to change the date the landlord received notice of the mold problem. In all other respects, the decision should be affirmed.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Adopting a Resolution urging the California state legislature to approve Assembly Bill 473 (Blumenfield) concerning increased recycling in multifamily dwellings of five or more units. (Executive Director)
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3741 2725 Dohr Street (Continued from June meeting.)
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on upgrades to RTS database (Executive Director)
(2) Executive Summary of 2009 Economic Study of the Rent Stabilization Ordinance and Los Angeles Housing Market prepared for the Los Angeles Housing Department by the Economic Roundtable (Executive Director)
(3) Sample of letter mailed to owners that received 100% waiver of penalties under the 60-day waiver provisions in Regulation 883 (H) (Executive Director)
(4) Copy of August 2009 letter from Linda McCormick, Founder of Fix Our Ferals concerning a successful mediation recently conducted by Rent Board Councilor Nick Traylor (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. June 26th approved meeting minutes
b. August 7th meeting agenda.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosures
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Safe and Sustainable Housing
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
a. August 11th meeting agenda and summary report
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.